Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
deb deb is offline

Default E-Mailing resume word document without changing format.

I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it from
scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates, and I didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but when I send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document. It is all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will not appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can anyone
advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Deb" wrote in message
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it from
scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates, and I
didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but when I
send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document. It is
all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will not
appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can anyone
advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That's because you emailed it as the body of the email. The ONLY way to do
this without losing formatting is to send the document as an attachment.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would suggest that you covert it to .pdf format and send it as an
attachment to the email. If you don't have a .pdf converter, Google for
PrimoPDF.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Deb" wrote in message
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it from
scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates, and I
didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but when I
send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document. It is
all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will not
appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can anyone
advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
deb deb is offline

Thank You Doug,
I did create my resume as a word document, but when I add it as an
attachment it still looses the formatting. Of course I e-mailed it to myself
to see if it was acceptable, which it was, but when I submit a copy for a job
application it looks nothing like my original document. When I printed out
the e-mail attachment that I sent to myself it looks exactly as the original,
with the bullets and correct spacing, but if I try to copy and paste it
everything is out of allignment and it is double spaced.
I spent about four hours composing this resume on my own because I don't
really know how to use the templates. The bottom line is, I need a job.
I did go to Google for PrimoPDF and downloaded it, but how do you convert
it? I could really use a computer tutor!! Oops, I forgot I divorced him!
He-He, I hope you are laughing!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Deb

"Deb" wrote in message
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it from
scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates, and I
didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but when I
send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document. It is
all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will not
appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can anyone
advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The main problem is that Word uses the printer parameters (extracted by
interrogating the printer driver) to lay out the document. If you change
printer, Word sees different parameters, so the layout changes. This can be
reduced by using the option under Tools, Options, Compatibility tab and
selecting Use Printer Metrics: but this is far from perfect either.

Another possibilities is that all your styles are based on normal style, so
if the end user has complete different settings for normal style, it may
change all the styles you used.

As previously suggested, the only real solution is to use PDF (portable
document format) which is the only sure way to keep the layout in tact.
There are several cheap PDF writers available. I've used PDF995 for many
years with excellent results. But there are any to others too.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Deb" wrote in message
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it
from
scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates, and I
didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but when I
send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document. It
is
all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will not
appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can
anyone
advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

In message ,
Deb Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

"Deb" wrote in message
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did
it from scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the
templates, and I didn't
care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word document but
when I send
it through e-mail the format is nothing like my original document.
It is all
out of allignment. If I try to copy and paste it the bullets will
not appear.
I lost my job 2 months ago so this is an immense issue for me. Can
anyone advise me what I need to do? Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

This discussion has strayed somewhat from your original question...!
Deb: Have you managed to get a handle on creating a PDF file, or otherwise
solved your problem?

--
Regards,
Chris.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Deb wrote:
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago and updated my resume. I did it
from scratch because I couldn't figure out how to use the templates,
and I didn't care for any offered anyway. I created it as a word
document but when I send it through e-mail the format is nothing like
my original document. It is all out of allignment. If I try to copy
and paste it the bullets will not appear. I lost my job 2 months ago
so this is an immense issue for me. Can anyone advise me what I need
to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To keep it from changing formatting, you'd hve to send the document as an
attachment to an email. However, unless you know the company will accept
attachments (security issues), the mail may not get read.

I'd say either:
-- Find out if the employer will accept attachments of that sort, OR
-- rewrite it in text format so it can be placed in the body of an e-mail,
which is actually the best way IMO to do it. Or, even just send them a good
cover letter for your resume.
Then, in either case, you also state that you'll be happy to mail them
your complete, properly formatted resume.
I've done a lot of hiring and NEVER hired based on an e-mail, BUT ... I
DID respond to all emails, either saying no thanks, or please send me your
complete resume.
Do not be afriad of snail-mail; it's still the most convenient method for
employers unless they specifically invite resumes by e-mail. Then again,
any method that works, and I always found the e-mail cover letter the
preferred method. Ymmv of course g.

If you're using a head hunter, ask him this question too.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Poprivet wrote:
To keep it from changing formatting, you'd hve to send the document
as an attachment to an email. However, unless you know the company
will accept attachments (security issues), the mail may not get read.

Sending the document as an attachment will not guarantee that formatting
changes will not take place
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm
The only way to ensure that a document remains in the format intended is to
send it as an attachment in PDF format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

Sending the document as an attachment will not guarantee that formatting
changes will not take place
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm

I do find that this a quite extraordinary piece of un-joined up thinking by
MS. While I appreciate that the Print-Preview view should depend on
installed printers, and thus formatting may change, I cannot for the life of
me see why the NORMAL view should not show the document in it's original
form.....The implication being that if you share a document WITHIN an
organisation where different users have different printers, the document
format changes from user to user! Quite unbelievable.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The Normal view isn't WYSIWYG at all; it doesn't display anything in the
drawing layer, and it doesn't display frames in position or wrapped.

Now I'm totally confused. On the one hand I understand that formatting of
Word documents differs from machine to machine because its WYSIWYG and
depends on whatever printer is installed, now you're telling me Word is NOT
WYSIWYG - so why should the formatting depend on printers if it's NOT
WYSIWYG?