Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
denise denise is offline

Default Does anybody know what this symbol (¬) means?

Hi,

I'm editing a text in Word. I changed the page setup and suddenly apperead
this symbol ¬ inside the words... The "Find" option does not recognize it (I
wanted to use it in order to cancel all the "intruders").
Does anybody know what's that and how can I get rid of it?

Thank you,
Denise
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

¬ represents an optional hyphen, when you are showing nonprinting marks, and
it will display as on "ordinary" hyphen (-) when the word in question occurs
hyphenated at the end of a line.

To hide the ¬ symbol, turn off the display of nonprinting marks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Denise" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm editing a text in Word. I changed the page setup and suddenly apperead
this symbol ¬ inside the words... The "Find" option does not recognize it
(I
wanted to use it in order to cancel all the "intruders").
Does anybody know what's that and how can I get rid of it?

Thank you,
Denise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Denise,

If you're working with the hidden characters shown, then a conditional
hyphen is shown as ¬. If this is the case, and if you still want to delete
them with Find, go to Special characters and find "Optional Hyphen."

Steven Craig Miller

"Denise" wrote:

Hi,

I'm editing a text in Word. I changed the page setup and suddenly apperead
this symbol ¬ inside the words... The "Find" option does not recognize it (I
wanted to use it in order to cancel all the "intruders").
Does anybody know what's that and how can I get rid of it?

Thank you,
Denise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That tells you that there's an optional hyphen in the word at that
point -- if it occurs at the end of a line, the word will break there
and only there.

If you click the paragraph mark button in your Toolbar (or somewhere
in your Ribbon!), or type Ctrl-Shift-*, _all_ the Non-Printing
Characters, including the important ones like Paragraph Break and
Tab, ,will go away. But maybe the checkbox for Discretionary Hyphens
(is that what they're called?) in Tools Options View is checked.

(That's where you go to always show the useful ones and not show the
ones you only need once in a while, such as this one and the spaces
between words.)

On Aug 19, 8:31 am, Denise wrote:
Hi,

I'm editing a text in Word. I changed the page setup and suddenly apperead
this symbol ¬ inside the words... The "Find" option does not recognize it (I
wanted to use it in order to cancel all the "intruders").
Does anybody know what's that and how can I get rid of it?

Thank you,
Denise

what gray line means cayce Microsoft Word Help 7 May 18th 07 06:09 PM
A symbol which means therefore Ambox Microsoft Word Help 1 February 15th 07 06:03 PM
how can i tell what each symbol means Flame Microsoft Word Help 3 October 12th 06 12:36 AM
what tranny means Lucny Tables 7 February 20th 06 06:09 PM
Nazida means if you cry, you die? From The Holocaust Sasha Microsoft Word Help 0 April 6th 05 10:35 PM