S.Nicks

Default Mail Merge Word 2003 Issue

Mr. Mayor,
I went to your webiste and followed your directions and it worked. The last
time I performed a mail merge was about 1 year ago and it was very simple.
This new process is unbelieveable. I am by no means a computer guru and
figured out the mail merge last year without any help, but would have had no
idea of what the additional steps were without your website. Even the
Microsoft Online help features did not explain anything about "Insert Merge
Field" or "Propogating". That was absolutely ridiculous.
Thanks for your website, it was a life saver. I was almost to the point of
typing out each individual address again to make things work.
S.Nicks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What happens if you abandon the inflexible addressblock field and insert the
required fields individually and propagate those?
See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
If the same problem occurs with separate fields, then repairing Word might
be a useful next step (Help detect & repair).
Next step after that would be to reset the data key in the registry
See http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm

cgorak wrote:
It looks to me that the AddressBlock is not being replicated across
the labels - only across the top (no matter which labels are chosen),
the last two at the bottom and randomly in the middle. I can copy
the AddressBlock to each of the blank labels and they look fine but
that is an unnecessary extra step that mail merge is suppose to
elimate. It has nothing to do with the info being imported either as
I have tried several different databases from Excel and all have the
same problem.
At work we have installed the same version of Office2003 to all our
machines. Could it be something that is different between the way a
laptop installs as opposed to the way the desktop installs? I don't
know if this is consistant but it works on the desktops in my
department but not on the laptops. We have the Gateway Tablet M275.
Could it possibly be a Tablet issue? I don't know if the other
people who have reported this to me have Tablets or not... just a
thought.
Thanks-Char Gorak

Peter Jamieson" wrote:

So far, I have not been able to replicate this on my copy of Word
1.6359.6360 SP1, so have not bin able to pin down a likely problem
area. Because it worked before, I would be inclined to report this
directly to Microsoft (we are only volunteers). My guess is that it
/might/ have something to do with the data, which would at least
provide an explanation as to why some people are seeing this problem
and others are not, and why switching to DDE might improve things in
some cases. All I can do is ask a few questions and see if they lead
anywhere useful, e.g.: a. is the problem that the field /codes/
(Next Record and Addressblock) are not replicated when you press
Update all labels? Or do you see the field codes but not the data
when you press preview? b. Does it make any difference if you
choose a different type of label layout?
c. Are there any "unusual" characters, e.g. double quote
characters, in your data source, or unusually large fields, around
the point where things go wrong?
d. Does it make any difference which version of /Excel/ was (last)
used to create/maintain the data? (My guess is that the problem is
in Word, and not in either Excel or the OLEDB provider used to get
the data from the .xsl, but it might be worth checking that.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Peter Jamieson

"cgorak" wrote in message
news I am doing a mail merge with Word2003 - the database info is in an
Excel 2003
spreadsheet. The mail merge works just like it always has - UNTIL I
get to the last step - Update All Labels. At that point only the
first three labels
and the LAST two labels on the first page and miscellaneous labels
on the next page are populated with information. I do not have this
problem on my desktop but I do on my laptop and others here at the
University have been experiencing the same problem. 11.6359.6360
SP1 is the version of my Word2003
and 11.6355.6360 SP1 is the version of Excel2003. I have received
emails from others on the outside that are having this exact same
problem. This solution was sent to me also but does not work:
"go to options in Word and on the general tab you select the box
confirm conversion when opening document when you select this box
you will have to select your data file in excel again and you
select the DDE option" --
Char Gorak

Graham Mayor

I think many people preferred mail merge with Word 2000, but for those used
to the old ways, Word 2002/3 came as an unpleasant shock until they realise
that the older way of doing things remains largely intact - but hidden from
the user by default. I am pleased you found my web page useful.

"cgorak" wrote in message
[...]

Peter Jamieson

Just to let you know, despite trying various avenues within Microsoft I have
had no response on the status of this problem. Although I know the essential
details reached an appropriate part of Microsoft I have no idea whether or
not they have even tried to replicate the problem on a tablet PC.

Peter Jamieson

"cgorak" wrote in message
This is VERY interesting. A gentleman with the same problem emailed this
me today:
In relation to the mail merge issues on tablet pcs...If I set the document
up with the initial fields then update all labels the missing labels are
still there --- then if I add an image to the first label and then press
update all labels for the document the fields are in all the labels now.
Don't know if this helps but it might narrow the options down as to what
is
wrong.
--Richard Pascoe

I tried this - I added a text box and put a *.jpg into it and then clicked
on "Update all Labels" and yup!!! the whole sheet filled. This is really
strange!!

Char Gorak

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes please, Cindy.

Peter Jamieson

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

No non-automated response so far (as far as I can tell there should
have
been one by now), and eveb when (if?) there is one I do not know what
MS
will actually do. So I wouldn't hold your breath!

Do you want to try this via the route you used to take, through me?

Cindy

Peter Jamieson

Just in case you are still following this, I've had fairly intensive
sessions with MS support over the last few weeks (and am still in the middle
of them. I have also done a pile of experiments over the last few days and
a. the problem only occurs after Windows XP SP2 is installed.
b. the problem does not occur in Windows safe mode suggesting that it might
be caused by something that is loaded in "full" mode
c. it makes no difference if I disable any of the startup options or
services using msconfig
d. I tried disabling various bits of potentially relevant hardware but
nothing I tried made any difference.
e. as a consequence of disabling various bits of hardware I found myself
using th keyboard to control Word, and noticed that if you use the keyboard
to select the Propagate Labels button in the Mail Merge Wizard, then use the
spacebar to "click" the button, the function works correctly. If you click
it with the tablet pen or an ordinary mouse click, it does not work
correctly. Selecting and "Clicking" the MailMerge toolbar button using the
keyboard (I think you have to press the Enter key in that case) makes no
difference. Assinging the MailMergePropagateLabel command to a keystroke or
toolbar makes no difference.

Discovery (e) was interesting enough to pursue a bit further - perhaps there
was some difference in the macro recorded when clicking the button in
different ways. but apparently not. They all use
WordBasic.MailMergePropagateLabel. Nor have I found any way to invoke or
"intercept" MailMergePropagateLabel that makes it work, although running the
recorded macro from the Visual Basic editor does work. So unfortunately I
have not found a practical workaround.

It may also be significant that, as far as I know, MailMergePropagateLabel
is a relatively recent addition (Word 2002?) to the WordBasic object - in
other words, this function was not available in the days when WordBasic was
the only practical way to write Word code. Perhaps there is some
security-related aspect of WordBasic that only becomes apparent in Windows
SP2 on a tablet.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes please, Cindy.

Peter Jamieson

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

No non-automated response so far (as far as I can tell there should
have
been one by now), and eveb when (if?) there is one I do not know what
MS
will actually do. So I wouldn't hold your breath!

Do you want to try this via the route you used to take, through me?

Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
N Small N Small is offline

I am 5 years after you with the same problem. I have used mail merge for
years and now a year ago I cannot get labels to run. I get 3 at the top row
and 2 or 3 at the bottom. Has anyone found out the problem. Also, I am not
able to get Open & Repair on my microsoft word. HELP!!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes please, Cindy.

Peter Jamieson

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

No non-automated response so far (as far as I can tell there should
have
been one by now), and eveb when (if?) there is one I do not know what
MS
will actually do. So I wouldn't hold your breath!

Do you want to try this via the route you used to take, through me?

Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Here is a work around to the problem of propagating the label setup when
using a Tablet PC

Macro to overcome the problem with propagation of mail merge field fields
with a label type mail merge when using a Tablet PC and some other Computers
that have Tablet PC Functionality available:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table

Dim i As Long, j As Long

Dim source As Cell, target As Cell

Dim myrange As Range

Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)

Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1)

Set myrange = source.Range

myrange.Collapse wdCollapseStart

ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="NEXT", _

PreserveFormatting:=False

source.Range.Copy

For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(1, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count

For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(i, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

Next i

atable.Cell(1, 1).Range.Fields(1).Delete

End Sub

It is suggested that you put this code into a template that you save in the
Word Startup folder so that it becomes an add-in and will be available
whenever you need it. As the macro has the same name as the Word Command
that is supposed to do the job, this macro will run when the Update Labels
button is used when setting up the mail merge label main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP