Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Default Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (Using Word 2003)

Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft Office Word
2003, the professional edition.)

Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Hello Suzanne - I did what you said: I went to "Tools|Options|View" and
checked the "Wrap to window" box. But my text is still wrapping outside my
margin. What does "Normal view" mean? The document is showing "100%" view. Is
that normal view?
Thank you,
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal view with
"Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft Office

Word 2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

PS to Suzanne: Also, I don't know what you mean by "a negative right indent".
I haven't done any indenting. All my sentences begin at the margin.
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal view with
"Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft Office

Word
2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Normal view is the view you get if you check Normal on the View menu or
click Normal View on the horizontal scroll bar. If you have "Wrap to window"
enabled in this view, the text will take up the whole screen. Clearly this
is not the issue.

In the Format | Paragraph dialog, see what the Indentation: Right setting
is. If it is anything other than 0", then you have an indent. If the number
is negative, then your paragraph will extend outside the margin.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal view

with
"Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft

Office
Word
2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Thank you Suzanne.
I looked at the Paragraph dialog and saw the indentation settings. I
think the problem may be with automatic formatting which I wasn't aware of.

My document seemed inconsistent. Some of the lines were justified to the
left and some weren't. (This is a puppet show with dialogue.) I prefer them
all justified to the left border (margin) in this particular document.
(except for the title, of course). So, after reading your explanation, I went
to the indentation dialogue and took out the indentations, including the
"first line" numbers. In other words, I set everything to 0". That justified
the lines to the left.

But I really don't understand what they mean by "first line" indentation.

Do you think I should turn off the automatice formatting? How do I do that?

Also I don't completely understand what the difference is between "wrapping
to window " and not "wrapping to window", especially as it effects the
different views.

Thank you for your help. I can see that this is a very complex program to
learn.
It's nice of you to help me.
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal view

with "Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft

Office Word 2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

With regard to automatic formatting, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

From your comments, I suspect you're a very new Word user; you might want to
look at Shauna Kelly's introduction to Word use at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html

There are four kinds of indents in Word: left, right, first-line, and
hanging. These are all represented by markers on the ruler (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm), and the easiest way
to see what they do might be to drag the ruler markers in turn to see their
effect on a block of text. The left indent setting indents the entire
paragraph from the left margin, and the right indent does the same on the
right. Ordinarily you will indent it to be inside the margin, so that the
paragraph is narrower than the rest of the text (a block quote, for
example), but you can use a negative indent (sometimes called an "outdent")
to allow the paragraph to extend into the margin. You may have seen this
with headings in books that stick out into the left margin.

The first-line indent applies a left indent to just the first line of a
paragraph. This keeps you from having to press Tab at the beginning of every
paragraph when you want text to be indented the way it usually is in books.
The hanging indent does just the opposite: it indents every line except the
first. One of the most common uses for this is bulleted or numbered
paragraphs, and if you use the Bullets or Numbering button on your toolbar,
you'll see that the paragraph has a hanging indent.

"Wrap to window" is a red herring in your case, but I'll try to explain it
anyway. It is a view setting. When you are in Print Layout view, which is
the view most users use most of the time, your text wraps (starts a new
line) at the right margin, just the way it will when you print the page. If
you switch to Normal view (which most users don't use, though I use it most
of the time), all the text is on the left and, unless you're using a high
Zoom ratio or a narrow window, there's a lot of empty space on the right.

If you keep a task pane open, that takes up some of the space, but if
you're, for example, a novelist and just want to use the space to write in
and want to be able to see as much of the text as possible, you can, when
you are in Normal view, choose the "Wrap to window" view setting, and the
text will run all the way to the right side of the window before wrapping.

This is not WYSIWYG at all (doesn't represent what will print), but it does
make the most efficient use of the space. It's suitable only for
text-intensive documents--wouldn't be useful at all for documents containing
graphics, tables, etc. (but then neither is Normal view most of the time).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal

view
with "Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in

message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft

Office Word 2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for your reply. I need time to study and follow up on your
explanation here. I'm going to try to figure things out. It sure takes time
to learn this program.
With appreciation for your help,
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
With regard to automatic formatting, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

From your comments, I suspect you're a very new Word user; you might want to

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does the paragraph have a negative right indent? Are you in Normal

view
with "Wrap to window" enabled (Tools | Options | View)?

"Lilly Cagney" Lilly wrote in

message
Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft
Office Word 2003, the professional edition.)
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm slowly going through the Tutorials on
Word. So far, so good. Do you use Microsoft Word at work? I'm retired and am
trying to keep up with the latest computer skills as much as I can.
Best regards,
Lilly Cagney
New York State

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I've been using Word since 1992, and I still discover new things every day.
Don't give up!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

I see. I know what you mean about the fine line between work and play. I have
a cartoon on my fridge which says: "It's only work if you would rather be
doing something else." (g) Another quote in the same vein:
"When you like your work every day is a holiday." -Tyger, Frank
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I use Word for *everything.* I work at home, so sometimes the distinction
between work and play is a fine line.

"Lilly Cagney" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm slowly going through the Tutorials on
Word. So far, so good. Do you use Microsoft Word at work? I'm retired and

am trying to keep up with the latest computer skills as much as I can.
Best regards,
Lilly Cagney
New York State

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Lee Barb Lee is offline

"Lilly Cagney" wrote:

Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft Office Word
2003, the professional edition.)

Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Do you have a tab set that is outside your margin? Also, check your
paragraph format to ensure that the left and right indents are not a
negative number. (Format Paragraph)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Barb Lee" Barb wrote in message

"Lilly Cagney" wrote:

Why is my text wrapping outside my margin? (I am using Microsoft Office
Word
2003, the professional edition.)

Lilly Cagney

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
Open word in text mode Jay Douglas Microsoft Word Help 9 February 15th 06 09:30 AM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
Word applies direct format on File open Uriel Microsoft Word Help 16 November 27th 05 08:22 PM