Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sukiyaki Sukiyaki is offline

Default How to delete a dividing line created with asterisks

In order to delineate the end of one subject and begin another, I typed in a
line of asterisks, and no way, no how can I get rid of it. I've tried all the
logical ways, and searched help and the Word for Dummies book, to no avail. I
did not put spaces between the asterisks, which one person told me was a
mistake. Help!

Also, I would like to know what the "lightening bolt" symbol is. It often
shows up, but mostly when I try to indent a paragraph.

I'm praying no one will spam this email address, as it could get me fired.
Thank you.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to delete a dividing line created with asterisks

To delete a dividing line created with asterisks in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor above the dividing line.
  2. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard until the line disappears.
  3. If the line doesn't disappear, try selecting the line by clicking and dragging your cursor over it, then press "Delete" on your keyboard.

If the above steps don't work, it's possible that the line is a border or a horizontal line. To delete a border or a horizontal line, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the border or the horizontal line to select it.
  2. Click on the "Borders" button in the "Paragraph" group on the "Home" tab.
  3. Click on "No Border" to remove the border or the horizontal line.

As for the "lightening bolt" symbol, it's the symbol for the "AutoCorrect Options" button. This button appears when Word detects a potential error in your document and suggests a correction. It's often seen when you try to indent a paragraph, as Word may suggest correcting the indentation to match the rest of the document.

__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Sukiyaki wrote:
In order to delineate the end of one subject and begin another, I
typed in a line of asterisks, and no way, no how can I get rid of it.
I've tried all the logical ways, and searched help and the Word for
Dummies book, to no avail. I did not put spaces between the
asterisks, which one person told me was a mistake. Help!

Also, I would like to know what the "lightening bolt" symbol is. It
often shows up, but mostly when I try to indent a paragraph.

I'm praying no one will spam this email address, as it could get me
fired. Thank you.

The line is a paragraph border created by the AutoFormatAsYouType feature.
See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...tRidOfLine.htm for
removal and avoidance instructions.

The "lightning bolt" symbol is (as the mouseover tip says) an AutoCorrect
Options button. When Word changes something through AutoCorrect, it gives
you that icon; click it to get a little menu of things you can do, such as
Undo and Stop AutoCorrecting.

And finally, since you posted through the Microsoft web forum, your email
address doesn't appear in your post.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sukiyaki Sukiyaki is offline

Thanks so much to Suzanne and Jay. I wish one of you could sit by my side as
I learn...not only am I new to Word, I'm new to the PC, which makes it even
more of a puzzle! It's great to get help so fast, and be able to keep my job
because you help make it "look" like I know what I'm doing! The only little
trouble I had using the information was due to the fact that it seems to be
written for Word 2003, and I'm using 2007. There is no "format/borders" tab,
and it takes me quite a bit of searching through all the tabs to find
something similar...nothing seems to be in its logical place! For that
matter, I'm even having trouble locating where to turn off auto-formatting!
Thanks again!

"Sukiyaki" wrote in message
In order to delineate the end of one subject and begin another, I typed in
line of asterisks, and no way, no how can I get rid of it. I've tried all
the
logical ways, and searched help and the Word for Dummies book, to no
avail. I
did not put spaces between the asterisks, which one person told me was a
mistake. Help!

Also, I would like to know what the "lightening bolt" symbol is. It often
shows up, but mostly when I try to indent a paragraph.

I'm praying no one will spam this email address, as it could get me fired.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word 2007 is so dramatically different from all previous versions that it
helps to mention if you're using it. I think you probably have found how to
remove the border. To turn off the auto formatting, go to Office Button |
Word Options | Proofing and click the button for AutoCorrect Options. From
there, the dialog is the same as in previous versions, and the settings you
want are on the AutoFormat As You Type tab.