Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Programs that Delete Word Settings (Was Reading Layout View)

However it might stop your PC coughing out posts in triplicate?

wrote:
I understand that even a massively inflated registry has no
significant effect on anything except the length of time required to
search the registry. Yet despite this knowledge, it is hard to eschew
registry cleaning. I don't know why exactly. There's something like a
pre-wire intution that if your remove 1,000 useless registry entries,
it has to imply there was a problem.

I myself don't run any serious risks, because I never proceed without
a full disk image. Worst case scenario, I lose 20 minutes while I
restore the disk. Sometimes problems arise with applications long
afterwards, but here the worse case is a reinstallation of the
application.

Still, why waste the time. Registry cleaning may qualify as an
addiction.

Stephen R. Diamond

Graham Mayor wrote:
In the hands of people who don't know what they are doing, registry
cleaners do more harm than good. It's all very well having a smaller
registry, which might save a few seconds when you open Windows, but
if the required entries are scrubbed along the way, then the
applications may not work properly and in a worst case Windows will
not start.

Some of these applications also remove 'redundant' dlls! Disaster in
the hands of the unwary

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
If some people want or need such thorough cleaning that their
settings have to be sacrificed in the process, I'm glad CCleaner
provides this capability for them. But it isn't a behavior the user
has any reason to expect. There must be a mechanism to bring the
behavior to the user's attention before the effect is felt. One
obvious way would be to turn Office cleaning OFF by default and
pop-up a warning when the user checks Office. At this point, the
CCleaner developer's irresponsible marketing of the product has
destroyed the confidence in a product I need to allow it access to
my registry, and I have deleted CCleaner.