Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Deke Deke is offline

Default Outline numbering in Word 2007

Has ANYBODY figured out yet how to get outline numbering to work in Word
2007. I have a lot of documents that need the following format:

1.0 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3

etc...

I have struggled for hours with this. Help is no help. Support couldn't
help. I can only conclude that Word 2007 no longer supports this style,
unless some smarty-pants out there has it figured out...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Click on one a paragraph formatted with Heading 1. In the Home tab, click on
the Multilevel List tool (in the Paragraph section). Under List Library, you
should see that numbering choice. In mine, it's in the 2nd row of the list
library, right-most item. It might appear in a different location in yours.
When I click on it, Heading 1, 2, and 3 suddenly are numbered like this:

1 This is heading 1
1.1 This is heading 2
1.1.1 This is heading 3

(Pasted from Word 2007)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Deke" wrote in message
Has ANYBODY figured out yet how to get outline numbering to work in Word
2007. I have a lot of documents that need the following format:

1.0 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3

etc...

I have struggled for hours with this. Help is no help. Support couldn't
help. I can only conclude that Word 2007 no longer supports this style,
unless some smarty-pants out there has it figured out...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Deke Deke is offline

Thanks Herb. I was trying to do it by formatting the style, where such
numbering options are not available. Seems a bit bass-ackwards the new way,
but at least now I know...

"Deke" wrote in message
Has ANYBODY figured out yet how to get outline numbering to work in Word
2007. I have a lot of documents that need the following format:

1.0 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3

etc...

I have struggled for hours with this. Help is no help. Support couldn't
help. I can only conclude that Word 2007 no longer supports this style,
unless some smarty-pants out there has it figured out...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well... you can give the multi-level formatting to styles. But, it's a bit
backwards, as you say. Once assigning the numbering as indicated, you then
tell Word to redefine the style so it matches that formatting. You can do
this by right-clicking the style in the gallery and choosing "Update [style
name] to Match Selection (which runs the RedefineStyle command).

I make life easier for myself by assigning RedefineStyle to a keystroke
(Ctrl+Shift+D). That way, anytime I get a paragraph looking the way I want
it, I press Ctrl+Shift+D, immediately redefining the current style so that
it matches my chosen [direct] formatting. If I then want this style to be
the default, I right-click that style in the Style Gallery, choose Modify,
and tick the "New documents based on this template" option.