Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roccoprxphome Roccoprxphome is offline

Default I still have my original MS Office 97 Small Business edition...

hello,

I still have my original MS Office 97 Small Business edition...
I have the Windows Xp Home Edition, Version 2002
but I don't have any new MS Office program, such World, Excell, etc.
so...
Right now I have not the money to buy the new version(s)...
Can I still install my original 1997 Word Office to my pc not matter the old
it is?
It's LEGAL? I am the owner of that CD-ROM when I bought my first pc in 1997.

I need Word to build my page, etc.

Please, your opinions.

Thanks,

Pedro

--
Thanks for read
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't "own" the program. You only purchase the right to use it on a
computer.

If that version of Office came on your old computer then you cannot run it
on another computer. That's why it's cheaper than if you go to your local
software retailer and purchase it. Once the old computer dies, so does that
copy of Office. Once you buy a retail version you can transfer the
registration from one computer to the next to the next, etc.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Roccoprxphome" wrote in message
hello,

I still have my original MS Office 97 Small Business edition...
I have the Windows Xp Home Edition, Version 2002
but I don't have any new MS Office program, such World, Excell, etc.
so...
Right now I have not the money to buy the new version(s)...
Can I still install my original 1997 Word Office to my pc not matter the
old
it is?
It's LEGAL? I am the owner of that CD-ROM when I bought my first pc in
1997.

I need Word to build my page, etc.

Please, your opinions.

Thanks,

Pedro

--
Thanks for read

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roccoprxphome Roccoprxphome is offline

Thanks for the reply, JoaAnn P!!
Yes, you are right, I just purchased...

Well, it is the same computer... the same hard disk,
but I just changed the board, etc...
I really do not know about this stuffs

--
Thanks for read

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm a bit confused. I thought you were saying that you have Office 97 that
you got with computer #1 and now you want to install it on computer #2.

Are you saying that you only have one computer and that's you've switched
out the motherboard (and operating system)? If so, the answer gets kind of
blurred. I've never seen specifically which part or parts of a computer an
OEM version of Office is tied to. With a new motherboard, you've probably
done a complete reformat anyway.

If that is the case, I would think that it falls within the legal use. But
you need to remember that we are not attorneys nor are we Microsoft
employees. You're just getting a "Woman on the Street" opinion.

--

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not to mention that, since Office 97 doesn't require activation, it doesn't
care whether the motherboard has been changed. As long as the OP still has
the product key, there should be no problems with installation, and it is
certainly legal.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roccoprxphome Roccoprxphome is offline

Thanks for your reply, Suzanne !!

I am not an expert, but... What is the OP? Operative System?
Well... I bought the computer (with the MS Office 97 Small Bussiness
Edition: Word 97, Excel 97 & Outlook 97, in 1997, both).

My computer have been formated, restored, re-configurated, etc, etc, etc
like 30 times since 2000-2006.

I have never changed (that I know) the Hard Disk (the original) that brought
the pc. I have changed like 3 times the Mother Board because malfunctions,
etc, etc. I have installed programs & re-installed again after all those
hardware &/or software problems. There are a lot of viruses...

So, I was using a copy of Xp that later resulted to be NOT Genuine... so, I
bought my Windows Xp Home Edition, Version 2002 CD-Rom last month, but also
the Office was NOT Genuine... but now, I have not buy a new Office yet, and,
by the moment I have not yet the money to buy it... but I still have that MS
Word 97...

I do NOT know if an very old version of Word can properly work in my Windows
XP Home edition... can it work good? Is there still Windows & Microsoft
Updates for that product available for?

I do NOT l=know how much better can I explain my especific issue with the
Word97 that I need to create a page, etc, etc.

So, 'till the moment I understand that I can & it's legal...

Thanks for the time!!

Pedro
--
Thanks for read

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, if this is still the same computer (despite having enough replacement
parts to the the Six-Million-Dollar Man), you can legally install Office 97,
and it will run just fin on Windows XP Home.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not to mention that, since Office 97 doesn't require activation, it

doesn't
care whether the motherboard has been changed. As long as the OP still

has
the product key, there should be no problems with installation, and it

is
certainly legal.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I'm a bit confused. I thought you were saying that you have Office 97

that
you got with computer #1 and now you want to install it on computer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roccoprxphome Roccoprxphome is offline

Thanks to Suzanne & JoAnn !!

I will install my old & original MS Office 97 Small Business edition
tomorrow in my pc together with my new Windows Xp Home Edition, Version 2002

He, Thanks you both for all the information !!

Regards,

Pedro

--
Thanks for read

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not to mention that, since Office 97 doesn't require activation, it

doesn't
care whether the motherboard has been changed. As long as the OP still

has
the product key, there should be no problems with installation, and it

is
certainly legal.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I'm a bit confused. I thought you were saying that you have Office 97

that
you got with computer #1 and now you want to install it on computer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good. This means I can send over the craptop I've been fighting with all
evening. I decided to reformat it and now it won't read the CD. And I
haven't been able to figure out how to access the BIOS. Geez, I love
computers. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!