Pringles

Default Formatting a highlighted part of a doc. changes the whole

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically update". You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I need to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Pringles

Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically update". You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I need to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Version of WORD! If you don't know, look at Help | About Microsoft Word.

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the

change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can

restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically update".

You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I need

to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Pringles

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm using Microsoft Office 2003 (part of the
professional edition 2003)

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the

change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can

restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically update".

You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I need

to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Pringles

May I ask another question, please. Microsoft Office 2003 embeds diagrams
and the TOC, but I can't make appropriate page breads without the full text
plus all graphics, etc. Can I stop the embed command?

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting, the

change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can

restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically update".

You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I need

to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Well, Cindy had already pretty much answered your question, anyway. For
more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Version of WORD! If you don't know, look at Help | About Microsoft Word.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the formatting,

the
change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I can

restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically

update".
You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that, I

need
to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "stop the embed command," but you
should avoid manual page breaks wherever possible. You should probably start
a new thread (with appropriate subject line) for this question, though.

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,

When highlighting portions of a document to change the

formatting, the
change
affects the whole document. By clicking on the back arrow, I

can
restore the
original formating and allow the change to remain.

You should always mention the version of Word involved in a

problem.

Anyway, it's because the Normal style is set to "automatically

update".
You have
to disable that. But in order to tell you exactly how to do that,

I need
to know
which version of Word you have.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8

2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ashraf

I have the same problem and It only happens when I have a table and I try to
change the formating or add bullets, it does change the whole document
formating. I have Office 2003 and I tried clearing all boxs for disabling
Automatically styple update but it is still not working, any idea why.

"Pringles" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. I'm using Windows XP

Hi ?B?UHJpbmdsZXM=?=,