Greg

Default Backup and Autosave

Hi,
I would like to enable and learn the differences and functionalities of
Backup vs. Autosave. What I am looking for is this:
If I am working in a document and I have "Always Create Backup Copy" checked
in my Tools/Options/Save menu, how often will it save a backup copy of my
work? If I am not saving the document I am working on, will the backup copy
periodically do so? Will Autosave automatically save the document every X
minutes on the Backup Copy?
Basically, I have (don't we all) users who are not too bright, and one in
particular doesn't heed my advice to save his work periodically as he is
doing it. Yesterday he lost half a day of work and I was unable to recover it
(the options above were not enabled). I think he somehow closed the document
without saving it, and I was unable to find any type of backup or temp file
showing the work at a later stage than when he had originally opened the
document for editing.
Anyone have any ideas of how to set it up so that in the worst case scenario
the document saves his changes automatically in the (a) backup file to cover
his butt?
Thanks,
Greg

--
Greg Gardner
IT Systems Engineer
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you have "Always Create Backup Copy" checked, every time YOU save the
document, a (backup) copy will be made of the previously saved version.
That backup copy will overwrite the previosly created backup copy. The only
thing that is automatic about it is the making of the backup copy when YOU
save the document. If YOU do not save the document, no backup copy will be
made.

The only use of Save AutoRecover info is that it allows you to recover a
document that was open at the time of some abnormal program termination
(e.g. you tripped over the power cord, or you get the message that We are
sorry, but Word has encountered a problem and needs to close down. These
saves do take place automatically at the intervals that are set under
ToolsOptionsSave

When a document is closed normally (meaning by the USER closing it or the
USER exiting from Word) the file containing the AutoRecover info is DELETED.
Therefore, if the user closes a file WITHOUT saving it, then there is
nothing to recover.

A macro that will provide an auto save function called SaveReminder is
available from:

http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Greg" wrote in message
news
[...]

Jay Freedman

See http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/AutomaticSave.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:14:01 -0800, "Greg"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Default Thank you Doug and Jay

Thanks guys,
I will install the Macro you both recommended to assist my prototypical (or
in this case maybe protozoan is a better word) user in saving his documents
periodically.
Greg

--
Greg Gardner
IT Systems Engineer

No backup Ron Patterson New Users 9 June 22nd 05 11:38 PM
~WRL1233.tmp John Campbell Microsoft Word Help 9 March 18th 05 02:43 PM