Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default Some captions don't appear in cross-reference

I had some captions in my file. Deleted some of them and also their
cross-references.
Lateradd new captions, some appear in cross-reference ans some don't. Does
it have something to do with the captions I have removed?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

Some captions don't appear in cross-reference
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Whether captions are available to cross-reference or not depends on
how you added them to the document. In particular, if you select an
object in the drawing layer, that is, an object not "In line with
text" (Format | object, Layout tab), and then add a caption, Word
places the caption inside a text box; and the cross-reference dialog
box doesn't include items in text boxes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
I had some captions in my file. Deleted some of them and also their
cross-references.
Lateradd new captions, some appear in cross-reference ans some

don't. Does
it have something to do with the captions I have removed?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

Some captions don't appear in cross-reference

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Yes I did exactly what you said. OK I will change objects to be in line with
text. The reason I didn't set my objects to be in line with text is: In this
case it becomes very difficult to move them. Thanks for post. Finally I
understand the story.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But you can wrap a frame around the text and its caption, by using the
Insert Frame button on the Forms toolbar; then you can easily move the
frame.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks for you reply. Through your other reply I got the the story and do
exactly as you mentioned here. Now Iuse the frame for object and caption and
frame is movable very easily. You saved my life.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I provided the same information on July 21 in a post in the thread
"table and caption inside a FRAME," and I have repeatedly suggested
inserting your figures and captions in frames and provided information on
how to do so.

It seems that it has taken a while for this information to sink in. Stefan
and I have both been advocating the use of frames since this discussion
began in early July. In fact, in a post on July 4, I said:

If you have a graphic (or other object) selected when you insert a caption,
the "top" or "bottom" option will put the caption above or below the
selected graphic. If the graphic is In Line With Text, the caption will also
be in an ordinary text paragraph, but if the graphic is wrapped, the caption
will be inserted in a text box, which is a Very Bad Idea because Word can't
see text in text boxes for purposes of generating cross-references or a
Table of Figures. If both graphic and caption are inline, format the
paragraph that comes first as "Keep with next," and they will stay together.
If you must wrap text around the graphic and caption, insert them both in a
frame and wrap the text around that.