Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FieldTripMama FieldTripMama is offline

Default divide-by box

I need to know how to make the division box via my keyboard (not an inserted
graphic image/file). That is, what looks like right parens ) with a
horizontal line on top, connected and going right. Remember this as kids? I
do not find it in the Insert -- Symbol or characted mapping. And the รท (alt
+ 0247) is NOT what I need. Can anyone help?!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Typing

){ ADVANCE \l 3 \u 11 }

where Ctrl + F9 is used to insert the field delimiters { } creates about as
close as you are going to get to what you want. The values in the Advance
field are about right for the 12 pt Times New Roman font that I was using,
but may need to be varied depending upon the font and size that you are
using.

It's going to take a bit more fiddling with Advance fields to get any
numbers into the positions that you may want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"FieldTripMama" wrote in message
I need to know how to make the division box via my keyboard (not an
inserted
graphic image/file). That is, what looks like right parens ) with a
horizontal line on top, connected and going right. Remember this as kids?
do not find it in the Insert -- Symbol or characted mapping. And the ๗
(alt
+ 0247) is NOT what I need. Can anyone help?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pop` Pop` is offline

FieldTripMama wrote:
I need to know how to make the division box via my keyboard (not an
inserted graphic image/file). That is, what looks like right parens )
with a horizontal line on top, connected and going right. Remember
this as kids? I do not find it in the Insert -- Symbol or characted
mapping. And the ๗ (alt + 0247) is NOT what I need. Can anyone help?!

Not sure this is what you want, but try:
Insert; Object; Equation Editor 3 and see if the one you want it there.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:59:07 -0500, "Pop`"
wrote:

FieldTripMama wrote:
I need to know how to make the division box via my keyboard (not an
inserted graphic image/file). That is, what looks like right parens )
with a horizontal line on top, connected and going right. Remember
this as kids? I do not find it in the Insert -- Symbol or characted
mapping. And the ๗ (alt + 0247) is NOT what I need. Can anyone help?!

Not sure this is what you want, but try:
Insert; Object; Equation Editor 3 and see if the one you want it there.

Pop`

Yes, the necessary bits are available in the Equation Editor. Once in
the editor, click the "Fraction and radical templates" button on the
toolbar (the second button in the lower row). There are two items at
the bottom of the dropdown: the one on the left has only a slot for
the dividend, while the one on the right has slots for the dividend
and the quotient (above the line). Insert the divisor to the left of
the template; you don't need a slot for that.

If you want to show a complete solution, you'll have to fiddle with
the two-row-by-one-column matrix template. Aligning the numbers
vertically will be a challenge. :-)

Note that Equation Editor isn't installed by default. If necessary,
start the Office installer (by clicking the Change button on the
Office item in the Control Panel Add & Remove Programs dialog) and
check the box for advanced customization. The Equation Editor is
listed under Office Tools.

For more capabilities, try MathType (www.mathtype.com). As a teacher
you should be eligible for the academic discount.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FieldTripMama FieldTripMama is offline

The advance part did not work for me, although I am not familiar with that
function. I will work with the equation editor this week. It's my child's
teacher that insists they use the half box type symbol instead of the dot
line dot. Why, I don't know. I am a parent volunteer trying to help out by
putting tests in a friendlier way for the kids (AKA children). Thank you all.
I will let you know.

"Pop`" wrote in message
FieldTripMama wrote:
I need to know how to make the division box via my keyboard (not an
inserted graphic image/file). That is, what looks like right parens )
with a horizontal line on top, connected and going right. Remember
this as kids? I do not find it in the Insert -- Symbol or characted
mapping. And the รท (alt + 0247) is NOT what I need. Can anyone help?!

Not sure this is what you want, but try:
Insert; Object; Equation Editor 3 and see if the one you want it there.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FieldTripMama FieldTripMama is offline

I have success with the equation editor! Now, I need to know how I keep the
font size the same for all the equations! That is, I have a 7รท7 (using the
box) showing bigger than a 7รท49 (using the box). Editing the box content, I
see no way to keep the font the same size, as it automatically keeps it
relative to the size of the box and content. Therefore, an equation with more
numbers is smaller than an equation with fewer numbers. How can this be
corrected? The finished test must have the equations all the same size.

wrote:

FieldTripMama wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That shouldn't be happening.

One thing you may be seeing is that the content of the equation editor
box looks smaller while it's being edited than it does once you exit
from the editor.

Another thing to watch out for is mistakenly putting one box inside
another box.

The actual font size is set in the equation editor. Click the Size
menu and select Define from the bottom of the dropdown. The first
entry, Full, defines the point size of all regular text in the
equation. If you set the Full size to 12 pt, fir example, it should
match 12 pt text in the rest of the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 07:44:00 -0800, FieldTripMama
wrote:

I have success with the equation editor! Now, I need to know how I keep the
font size the same for all the equations! That is, I have a 7๗7 (using the
box) showing bigger than a 7๗49 (using the box). Editing the box content, I

wrote:

FieldTripMama wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FieldTripMama FieldTripMama is offline

Equation Editor 3.0 in MS Word 2003
Your help has been great!
But, when I click on the equation editor icon, it only gives me the types
of equations to choose from, not a sizing option. Also, when I right click on
the equation box itself (of an equation I have made), the size window does
not have a define option. That is, I right click on the equation box I have
created, click on size, then choose from Size and Rotate-height, width,
rotation; Scale-height, width, check or uncheck lock aspect ration and/or
relative to original picture size; and the Original Size-height, width, gives
no choices.
It'd be great if I could define the size for all the boxes, or a
selection of boxes, in a file I am making. In this last file, I had 100
equations which I had to format each individually. And, I only had the
options of height, width. It was time consuming.
By the way, I am not a teacher. I am a parent volunteer reformatting
tests and such for special needs children. I do not have funding for any
purchases.
Thank you for your time and help for the kids.

wrote:

FieldTripMama wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you're actually creating or editing an equation, and the floating
toolbar shows with all the things you can put into an equation, the
menu bar across the top of the Word window also changes. Instead of

File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window Help

it now says

File Edit View Format Style Size Window Help

Click the Size menu and choose Define.

The settings you mentioned refer to the equation *as a picture* and
have nothing at all to do with the font size of the characters inside
it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman