Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Houdini Houdini is offline

Default Where is text-to-to-speech in Office Word 07?

I can't seem to find a number of features in Office Word 2007. I'm using a
Trial Version but I don't think that is an issue. I can't seem to find staple
things like Office Assistant and the Text-to-speech funtion either. Maybe
it's the new interface.
Can anyone tell me if it was included in Ofice 07?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office 2007 uses a different help engine than prior versions. The Office Assistants were called to run from the old help engine.
They are still available for use outside of Office but are no longer included in Office.

The Office Text to Speech feature (Speak Cells) continues to be an Excel feature, but you have to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar
in Excel from

Office Button=Excel Options=Customize=Commands not in the Ribbon
and Add all 5 of the Speak Cell commands.

To use Windows XP Text-to-Speech (TTS) in Word 2007 you can use it from 'outside' of Word with highlighted text, but it may be
simpler if you use a Word macro to implement it within Word 2007.

There are two procedures that will work.

The procedure in Graham's webpage http://gmayor.com/word_text_to_speech.htm
works in Word 2007,
(note that in the step where he shows naming the 'module' you may need to first use 'View=Properties Window', as that window does
not appear in the VBA Editor (Alt+F11) by default.
Once you create the macro you can right click on the Quick Access Toolbar in Word 2007 (the thin bar next to the Office button) and
choose to customize it.

The macro in the MS Article Graham links to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287120
also works (use Tools=Reference to add a reference to the Excel 12.0 rather than 10.0 Object library before copying the macro into
your copy of Word).

Once you have created either of the macro solutions in the Word VBA editor, then, in Word 2007, in the customization dialog under
"Choose Commands from"
select the "Macros" category
then double click the 'TextToSpeech' macro created above, to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar. Once it appears in the right hand
column of that dialog select 'TextToSpeech' and the 'Modify' button to select an icon that will help you find the command for
speaking selected text in Word 2007.

"Houdini" wrote in message ...
I can't seem to find a number of features in Office Word 2007. I'm using a
Trial Version but I don't think that is an issue. I can't seem to find staple
things like Office Assistant and the Text-to-speech funtion either. Maybe
it's the new interface.
Can anyone tell me if it was included in Office 07?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP