JimMaher

Default How do I create multiple indexes in Word?

I am actually working on a book-length document (500+ pages). I want to
create several different indices. The usual type, plus a second one of
Quotations and a third of "Stories". This document also has a Table of
Contents, and I'll probably create a Table of Illustrations (actually,
financial tables and graphs).

Is there a way to do multiple indices in Word 2002? Is Word the right tool,
or should I use something else?

Thanks,

Jim Maher

Yes, you can have multiple indexes. Each XE (index entry) field must have an
identifier, and you will use the corresponding identifier in the INDEX
field. You can also have as many TOCs as you like, based on specific styles,
bookmarked text, etc.

"JimMaher" wrote in message
I am actually working on a book-length document (500+ pages). I want to
create several different indices. The usual type, plus a second one of
Quotations and a third of "Stories". This document also has a Table of
Contents, and I'll probably create a Table of Illustrations (actually,
financial tables and graphs).

Is there a way to do multiple indices in Word 2002? Is Word the right

tool,
or should I use something else?

Thanks,

Jim Maher

Chad

I understand how you can have multple table identifiers. However, when you
want to use them, how do you locate them under "Insert," "Reference," "Index
and Tables?"

I am having problems locating my table identifiers in this menu.

Thank you for any help you could provide.

"JimMaher" wrote in message
I am actually working on a book-length document (500+ pages). I want to
create several different indices. The usual type, plus a second one of
Quotations and a third of "Stories". This document also has a Table of
Contents, and I'll probably create a Table of Illustrations (actually,
financial tables and graphs).

Is there a way to do multiple indices in Word 2002? Is Word the right

tool,
or should I use something else?

Thanks,

Jim Maher

I may not be seeing the dialog properly since I don't have any XE fields
when I test, but it doesn't be possible to insert this switch from the UI;
you may have to edit the INDEX field manually.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, you can have multiple indexes. Each XE (index entry) field must

have an
identifier, and you will use the corresponding identifier in the INDEX
field. You can also have as many TOCs as you like, based on specific

styles,
bookmarked text, etc.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.