Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
victor victor is offline

Default Problem saving Table Of Contents designs to the gallery in 07

HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time. but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document it pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word should prompt you to update the TOC. If not, do it manually with F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time. but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
victor victor is offline

I have read the MS documentation and I understand that it SHOULD work that
way. But what is getting saved is the content of the old document that is
then getting inserted into other documents.
That is my problem. it is NOT allowing me to "update" the table, but some
times it will save it as a "empty" template that works exactly as advertised.

But if I am expected to train a few hundred legal secretaries on using this
tool, I need some kind of consistency. I cant just say "well, it MIGHT work"
So what I am trying to determine is how do I save the design so that it only
saves the design and not the content EVERY time. I know consistent results
from office 07 are pretty rare, but I am still hoping someone can give me an
answer.

Thanks for trying at least.

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time. but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, I can only speak for myself; I haven't seen any inconsistencies. But
you didn't answer my question: Does a manual update with the F9 key work? If
so, teach the secretaries to use the shortcut (they need to know about it,
since updating TOCs is only semi-automatic in Word, anyway).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that
TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time.
but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
victor victor is offline

No. Im sorry I thought I mentioned that. it DOESNT update.
for some reason the building block that is created is placed in the document
as TEXT. not as a toc control.
When I check all of the building block's properties, they seem the same as
the properties for the TOC designs that work correctly.

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that
TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time.
but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In that case, recreate the building block: Make sure to select a working TOC
field (as opposed to one that has been unlinked, that is, converted to
text), and then choose References tab | Table of Contents | Save Selection
to Table of Contents Gallery.

Note that you can test an existing TOC by pressing Alt+F9; if it does not
show a field code, such as { TOC \o "1-3" \h } then it has been converted to
text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that
TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time.
but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The
end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document
it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
victor victor is offline

WHen it is selected PRIOR to saving, it is still a toc field.

When it pastes it is actually not text, but all hyperlinks like it is a web
toc.

It seems to be based on something in the document. going through the same
steps I get different results on different documents.

The problem is that if I cant determine the cause I cant troubleshoot it
when it happens again.

here is one thing... WHen I just showed the field code and selected it, it
works to some extent.. it inserts the field code into a new doc and when you
switch back, it displays correctly. otherwise if I try to save that docs toc
design, it just makes that web toc and pastes the text in.

Since this seems to only be happening on certain docs, and some of these are
cut and pasted docs from a lot of sources, is there a doc property that might
be throwing this out of whack?

"Victor" wrote in message
HELP! we are trying to show people how to create a TOC and save that
TOC
design to the gallery in WOrd 07. The tool works some of the time.
but
lately, there has been a problem.

We create the TOC
Select the TOC by clicking and dragging over the body of the TOC
Click on Table of contents on the references tab
Click on Save Selection to the Table of contents gallery

A lot of the time it saves the content as well as the design. The
end
result is that if you attempt to use the design in another document
it
pastes
in the entire TOC of another document.

Why is this happening? How do we get Word07 to perform consistently?
Please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you insert the TOC format (building block) you saved into a new document,
does it insert as a field (again, use Alt+F9 to find out)? If not, recreate
it and try again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP