Cathleen McGuire

Default Home Phone field not getting picked up in Merge

I am trying to do a mailmerge my Outlook Contacts into a Directory so that I
can print the results and then physically paste them into my manual address
book. (Office version 2002)

Its driving me up a wall, but Home Phone just will not materialize. Every
other field value gets populated except for Home Phone.

I get to Step 4 (€śArrange Your Directory€ť) and select the last option, €śMore
Items €¦€ť to insert the field names into the master directory document Im
creating. (On the Mail Merge tool bar, the €śMore Items€ť icon is called
€śInsert Merge Fields€ť)

While in the Insert Merge Fields window, one can select Address Fields or
Database
Fields. I dont understand the difference between either of those options,
but whatever. I try them both.

If I select the Address Fields option, there is a Home Phone field, but as I
said, it doesnt populate when the merge is run. The Home Phone post-merge
values are left blank.

If I select the Database Fields options, there is no Home Phone option. (Go
figure). So I click on €śMatch Fields€ť at the bottom of the window in order to
€śuse the dropdown lists to choose the field from your database that
corresponds to the address information Mail Merge expects.€ť Whatever that
means.

So I find the Home Phone field in the Match Fields options, but (true to
Microsoft form) the dropdown box says €śnot available.€ť Great!

So how do I do a merge of my Contacts database so that the all-important
Home Phone numbers appear? Ive tried to do the Merge both from within
Outlooks Contacts as well as from within Word. Both give me the same cockeyed
results as Ive outlined above.

This is driving me crazy!!! Any and all help greatly appreciated.
--
Cathleen McGuire
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Initiate the mailmerge from Outlook.

See the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Cathleen McGuire" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Cathleen McGuire

Hi Doug -- I read about that URL in a similar past post. It was not helpful
as there was zero mentioned about the merge problems associated with the Home
Phone field.

If you have the time and inclination, please review my explanation of this
problem again. I think I laid out in sufficient detail what the problem is
and why all the possible paths don't work.

If anyone has a concrete solution as to how to get the Outlook Contacts Home
Phone field to merge, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks, Cathleen

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor

If you start the merge from Outlook *all* the contacts fields are available
for merge. There was no mention of the home phone field because there are no
problems associated with this field. Start the merge from Outlook then when
it hands over to Word select insert merge field from the merge toolbar (see
the link at the bottom of the web page) and pick the Home_Phone field. You
don't have to link the data it is already linked. If you attempt to link the
data from Word, then you cancel the connection you have already made to
Outlook. This is explained in the article.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

I get to Step 4 ("Arrange Your Directory") and select the last
option, "More
Items ." to insert the field names into the master directory
document I'm creating. (On the Mail Merge tool bar, the "More
Items" icon is called "Insert Merge Fields")

While in the Insert Merge Fields window, one can select Address
Fields or Database
Fields. I don't understand the difference between either of those
options, but whatever. I try them both.

If I select the Address Fields option, there is a Home Phone field,
but as I
said, it doesn't populate when the merge is run. The Home Phone
post-merge values are left blank.

If I select the Database Fields options, there is no Home Phone
option. (Go
figure). So I click on "Match Fields" at the bottom of the window
in order to
"use the dropdown lists to choose the field from your database that
corresponds to the address information Mail Merge expects."
Whatever that means.

So I find the Home Phone field in the Match Fields options, but
(true to Microsoft form) the dropdown box says "not available."
Great!

So how do I do a merge of my Contacts database so that the
all-important Home Phone numbers appear? I've tried to do the Merge
both from within Outlooks Contacts as well as from within Word.
Both give me the same cockeyed
results as I've outlined above.

This is driving me crazy!!! Any and all help greatly appreciated.
--
Cathleen McGuire

Cathleen McGuire

Hi Graham -- It works!

I could have sworn on one of my earlier iterations I had done the merge
exactly how you laid it out. Whatever.

I'm not going to try and recapitulate what I did vis-a-vis your
instructions. I'm just grateful it now works and I thank you and Doug so much
for taking the time to help me.

Cathleen