Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJA

Default How do I stop "requesting virus scan" when Word opens?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was negative
and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus software (Norton). All
Word programs open either slowly because they are being scanned or sometimes
can't open.

PJA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Strange as it may seem, uninstalling Norton Antivirus doesn't
always uninstall the Norton Office Plugin. Search for the
OFFICEAV.DLL file on the hard drive (be sure to include system
and hidden files/folders in the search options). If you find it,
note the folder where it is located, and use the "regsvr32 /u"
method described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820
"How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office
plug-in" to unregister the DLL.

PJA wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was negative
and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus software (Norton). All
Word programs open either slowly because they are being scanned or sometimes
can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJA

I had previously tried to rid myself of the problem of Word requesting a
virus scan upon opening. Graham had suggested eliminating various dll
program left over from Norton AV. At first this seemed to work but then
actually didn't. I have not been able to locate any of these dll program or
officeav.dll program. I had Symantec Corporate Edition. This version
doesn't have a drop down list to stop plug ins. So, I have been totally
blocked in every way to get rid of this problem. I have been in touch with
Microsoft on this and so far they too are giving me the same unusable
information that I have gotten here. Once again, any cures would be
appreciated.

PJA

"PJA" wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was negative
and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus software (Norton). All
Word programs open either slowly because they are being scanned or sometimes
can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Microsoft can't help you - it's not a Microsoft problem. You should be in
touch with Symantec.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PJA" wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was
negative
and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus software (Norton).
All
Word programs open either slowly because they are being scanned or
sometimes
can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:

"PJA" wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was

negative
and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus software (Norton).

All
Word programs open either slowly because they are being scanned or

sometimes
can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The fact remains that this is not a Microsoft issue. Word provides no virus
scanning whatsoever. The virus scan comes from the AV software. If you have
only had Norton AV products on your PC then the offending file is
officeav.dll.

If you have installed other AV software, it's anyone's guess what
corresponding dll is responsible eg with the free AVF software from Grisoft
it is "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll".

You need to ascertain what AV products have been used and what they have
left behind.

"PJA" wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was
negative and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus
software (Norton). All Word programs open either slowly because
they are being scanned or sometimes can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJA

Graham.

I believe I have found a solution for this problem. All the suggested I
have read here and tried had been useless. I have discused this topic with a
computer consultant here and also been in contact with Microsoft. I believe
the problem is related to Microsoft's recently beefed up security associated
with Word. I only developed this problem within the last month when I
downloaded the Word XP update files. It does not appear to me to be a Norton
problem.

What I have found out is that now my Word program was inconpatible with my
EndNotes bibliography software. ISI Reaseach who makes EndNotes had
mentioned this problem in a reference my computer consultant had found. What
I have discovered is that in my Word Startup folder, EndNotes had place two
add on files. When I moved these to my desk top, the problem with
"requesting Virus scan" stopped. However, my EndNotes was no longer linked
to Word. By moving back one of the files to Word's startup folder, I
reestablished the link but did not get the return problem with the virus
scan. The problem file (EN7Cwyw.WordXP) is now sitting harmlessly on my desk
top.

I would suggest that other with this problem check their Word startup folder
through the following path:

Click on Start-Run.
Type in %appdata% and click OK.
Double-click on the folder named Microsoft, Double-click on the folder named
Word, Double-click on the folder named Startup.
Click on Edit-Select All, if there are any files listed in the Startup
folder,
Move the files on to the desktop.

It was also suggested that a similiar search be done in the Windows Startup
folder but I was not able to do this. Nonetheless my problem has cleared.

Hope this is helpful.

PJA

"PJA" wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My disc scan for viruses was
negative and the problem remained after I removed my antivirus
software (Norton). All Word programs open either slowly because
they are being scanned or sometimes can't open.

PJA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

While I am glad that you found a solution - add-in conflicts are not
uncommon - I must repeat that the virus scanning is not performed by Word
but by whatever anti-virus software is installed.