Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa

Default Displaying field codes in Header

Word 2003
I have a main document and subdocuments. Headers and footers are created in
each subdocument. I have tried using the Insert StyleRef into my header to
insert the rule number, however, it does search backwards across the
subdocuments to get the value if there isn't one on the first page of the
subdocument. How can I get it to not search back across subdocuments?
Everything else about this feature works exactly what I want.

OR How can I insert some kind of field code to put the rule number on the
first page of the subdocument that I want displayed. I tried hidden text,
but it hides the number in the header too! Is there anything I can do with
field codes?

Please help
Thanks
Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Lisa" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa

Hi.
thanks for your input, wow, I had no idea.....guess I've been lucky so far.

After I posted, I realized that I don't print from the master document
anyway, so I don't care if my headers are incorrect, I only need to generate
a couple of tables from the master document.

I might stay with Masters and Subs following the rules I found or I might
try the RD thing....

Thanks again
Lisa

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

Secondary page numbering using field codes Jerry Microsoft Word Help 2 January 14th 06 11:13 AM
hidden field codes (index entries) always displaying when doc is o Bandicoot Microsoft Word Help 2 May 27th 05 11:45 PM
How do I turn off field codes in an MS Word document? Welshwoman Microsoft Word Help 7 March 2nd 05 06:15 PM
Field Codes Meryl Microsoft Word Help 1 February 21st 05 08:07 AM
Filename field in header - automatically update? Paul Kraemer Microsoft Word Help 1 February 9th 05 10:01 PM