Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooncatz Cooncatz is offline

Default Spellcheck STOPPED working in XP Pro.

Hello, I have a new computer running XP pro and a while ago the
spellchecker stopped checking. I am in a panic! I work at home as a medical
transcriptionist and NEED this tool!

I was trying things and hit check spelling and grammar and got some message
saying word can't find the English proofing tools?

This system is new. What the heck?

Any ideas? This is horrific!

Thx,
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Janet,

Your best bet is to run the "Detect & Repair" command from the Help menu.
You'll need to have your Office CD handy, because it will almost certainly
need it, and this could take a long time (over half an hour, potentially), so
you'll need some time.

Of course, someone else might have a specific fix that will work, but in the
absence of that, the Detect and Repair command is a great choice.

Good luck!
Ben
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooncatz Cooncatz is offline

Thanks for the speedy reply Ben!

I did what you said but it didn't work. So for the heck of it, I
reinstalled my medical dictionary. Very strange but, now it works!

I didn't know about the repair option before. Hopefully I won't ever need it!

Thx!
Janet

"Benjamino5" wrote:

Janet,

Your best bet is to run the "Detect & Repair" command from the Help menu.
You'll need to have your Office CD handy, because it will almost certainly
need it, and this could take a long time (over half an hour, potentially), so
you'll need some time.

Of course, someone else might have a specific fix that will work, but in the
absence of that, the Detect and Repair command is a great choice.

Good luck!
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q29vbmNhdHo=?=,

Hello, I have a new computer running XP pro and a while ago the
spellchecker stopped checking. I am in a panic! I work at home as a medical
transcriptionist and NEED this tool!

I was trying things and hit check spelling and grammar and got some message
saying word can't find the English proofing tools?

This system is new. What the heck?

Usually, when this happens it's because the language has changed. On new
systems, this can happen when you press Shift+Alt inadvertently.

Click in a word you know is misspelled, then go to Tools/Language/Set language.
Which language is selected?

If you press Ctrl+A, then go back to this dialog box and select the "right"
language, does spell check now work for you?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)