Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kaboodle Kaboodle is offline

Default eliminate "copy" of "saved as" document showing up in file list

When I "save as" to another document, my original doc shows up in the file
list with the squiggly line in front of it until the doc is saved with
another name. Problem is, this form of the orig doc sometimes ends up
staying there, making it necessary to delete it. We used to have this
problem all the time until we switched to Office 2000. Now, with Office
2003, it's showing up again. However, it's not doing that on my home
computer, so there must be something that can be turned off, but I can't find
it. HELP......thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Kaboodle,

Why are you using 'Save As'? Using 'Save' is a surer way to replace the original (and keep the original filename).

Having said that, neither method of saving produces a 'Copy of' file - you can only do that by other means (eg saving a copy using
Windows Explorer).

The only time you're likely to get another copy of the document using 'Save As', is if you 'Save As' with a different name. You can
also generate backup copies automatically if you have the 'Always create backup copy' option selected under Tools|Options|Save -
perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

If, however, you simply want to rename the document, do that from Windows Explorer, not from Word. Otherwise, you'll always end up
with multiple copies.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Kaboodle" wrote in message ...
| When I "save as" to another document, my original doc shows up in the file
| list with the squiggly line in front of it until the doc is saved with
| another name. Problem is, this form of the orig doc sometimes ends up
| staying there, making it necessary to delete it. We used to have this
| problem all the time until we switched to Office 2000. Now, with Office
| 2003, it's showing up again. However, it's not doing that on my home
| computer, so there must be something that can be turned off, but I can't find
| it. HELP......thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kaboodle,

The 'squiggly line' named file is a lock/owner file, that Windows uses to indicate that a Word document is in use. It only appears
if you have setup Windows explorer File Options to display normally hidden files.

The temporary file is by design and is deleted by Windows (usually) when you close Word.

================
"Kaboodle" wrote in message ...
When I "save as" to another document, my original doc shows up in the file
list with the squiggly line in front of it until the doc is saved with
another name. Problem is, this form of the orig doc sometimes ends up
staying there, making it necessary to delete it. We used to have this
problem all the time until we switched to Office 2000. Now, with Office
2003, it's showing up again. However, it's not doing that on my home
computer, so there must be something that can be turned off, but I can't find
it. HELP......thanks
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

~$ Russ Microsoft Word Help 21 February 5th 08 07:48 PM
I did a "save as" word document over a file I want to keep. Help. AndrewW Microsoft Word Help 1 June 9th 06 10:08 AM
What format do I use to "Save as" a word document to ASCII file? GoJayhawks Microsoft Word Help 1 May 26th 06 07:10 PM
insert a file directory and file list into a document Steve Microsoft Word Help 1 September 19th 05 09:53 PM
mail merg file list auroracrum Mailmerge 3 March 11th 05 09:45 PM