exciter

Default Latex?

Anyone who has been using Latex here?
I am a PhD student and I wonder if I should use Latex instead of Word.
Many academics use Latex.
I dont know why but many see an advanatge in using it instead of word.

By the way, do you know any newsgroup regarding latex?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Did you Google for Latex first? You can probably find more information there
than in here.
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"exciter" wrote in message
Anyone who has been using Latex here?
I am a PhD student and I wonder if I should use Latex instead of Word.
Many academics use Latex.
I dont know why but many see an advanatge in using it instead of word.

By the way, do you know any newsgroup regarding latex?

Pat Garard

Many Academics use Pot!

Choose your poison - Latex (pronounced La-Tech) has the same attractiveness
as a Slide-Rule. It's been around, it's nostalgic', it's 'fashionable' and it's 'esoteric'
(which I translate as 'old-fashioned').
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

PS - I still have my Slide-Rule.
_______________________

"exciter" wrote in message
Anyone who has been using Latex here?
I am a PhD student and I wonder if I should use Latex instead of Word.
Many academics use Latex.
I dont know why but many see an advanatge in using it instead of word.

By the way, do you know any newsgroup regarding latex?

Daiya Mitchell

A lot of math/science/computer people use it. I think it is probably better
at flowing text around figures and equations than Word is, and some say it
produces prettier text. However, I also know that some people have been
forced to abandon LaTeX because their publisher no longer accepts it, etc
(and they are not happy about it). I'm sure there are LaTeX forums, since
it's a very tech-savvy group of users, almost by definition, but don't know
where. Ask google.

Probably best to use whatever everyone else in your dept is using, as you
will presumably need to exchange files with them.

If that's Word, assuming you will be writing a dissertation someday, you
might want to bookmark this page which is a reference for using Word in ways
that minimize the time you spend fighting it and maximize the help it can
give you, especially when it comes to long documents.
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 7/28/05 5:04 PM, "exciter" wrote:

Anyone who has been using Latex here?
I am a PhD student and I wonder if I should use Latex instead of Word.
Many academics use Latex.
I dont know why but many see an advanatge in using it instead of word.

By the way, do you know any newsgroup regarding latex?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Amedee Van Gasse

exciter shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Anyone who has been using Latex here?
I am a PhD student and I wonder if I should use Latex instead of Word.
Many academics use Latex.
I dont know why but many see an advanatge in using it instead of word.

By the way, do you know any newsgroup regarding latex?

comp.text.latex is a *very* active newsgroup.

Have you ever used LaTeX? It has a rather steep learning curve (don't
get scared - that's relative, ymmv), but once you get to know it, it
doesn't get in the way of being productive like Word sometimes does. ;-)
Escpecially if you are in math or science, you should at least try to
use LaTeX.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?