Amethia

Default How do I continue page numbers after a section break?

I have a document with several section breaks (I'm not sure why, I didn't
write it myself!) dividing it into three sections. I need the page numbers to
run continuously through the document.
I have inserted page numbers and these run fine until the end of section 2.
I can not, however, get them to run on to the end of the document. When I
insert or format page numbers nothing appears, I have tried increasing the
margin sizes etc but still can not get the numbers to show. If I remove the
section breaks it completely changes the formatting of my document so that
isn't really an option.

Sorry for the long winded question but it's the best way I can describe the
problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

Amethia,

Open the header and footer view. Scroll down in your document until
you see in the status bar that you are in a Section 3 header or footer.
You can link this header or footer to the previous Section 2 by
toggling the icon Link to previous(or same as previous depending on
Word version) or you can insert a page field separately.

Amethia

Hi Greg, thanks for your responce.

When I link the footer to the previous section it inserts the same number on
every page (so every page in section 3 is page number 26). When I try to
insert page numbers nothing appears.. I'm at my wits end!

Any more suggestions? Or can you spot what I might be doing worng?

(I'm using Word 2000 if that makes any difference)

"Greg" wrote:

Amethia,

Open the header and footer view. Scroll down in your document until
you see in the status bar that you are in a Section 3 header or footer.
You can link this header or footer to the previous Section 2 by
toggling the icon Link to previous(or same as previous depending on
Word version) or you can insert a page field separately.

Greg

Amethis,

Again in Section 3 header and footer view. Toggle field code (ALT+F9).
Did the character 26 change to display { PAGE }?

If not, you or someone else numbered page with direct text.

I would remove all existing page numbers and start from scratch.

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I continue page numbers after a section break?

No worries, I'm happy to help! To continue page numbers after a section break, you'll need to follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor at the beginning of the section where you want to continue the page numbering.
  2. Go to the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Breaks" dropdown menu and select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  4. Double-click on the header or footer of the first page of the new section.
  5. In the "Design" tab that appears, check the box next to "Different First Page" if it's not already checked.
  6. Click on the "Link to Previous" button to turn it off. This will allow you to have a separate header or footer for this section.
  7. Insert the page number by clicking on the "Page Number" button in the "Header & Footer" section of the ribbon.
  8. Choose the location where you want the page number to appear (top or bottom of the page, left or right side).
  9. Repeat these steps for any additional sections where you want to continue the page numbering.

By following these steps, you should be able to continue the page numbering throughout your document, even with section breaks in place.