Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichardS RichardS is offline

Default Word font preview sample in Arabic script

Word font preview sample in Arabic script - how can I change it to English?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 4, 5:31*am, RichardS
wrote:
Word font preview sample in Arabic script - how can I change it to English?

What are you referring to?

Select a different font?

Do you type in Arabic?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichardS RichardS is offline

In Microsof Word 2003 click on "Format" then "font." There is a preview of
the chosen font displayed in this drop down menu. In my computer this
persists in being displayed in arabic script - whatever the font chosen in
the upper part of the drop down menu. Yes I have typed in Arabic as well as
English but not at the moment!

"grammatim" wrote:

On Jun 4, 5:31 am, RichardS
wrote:
Word font preview sample in Arabic script - how can I change it to English?

What are you referring to?

Select a different font?

Do you type in Arabic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just this morning, I noticed that a Style I use all the time had "Same
as Complex Font" in its upper Font window, with "Complex Font" named
as Times New Roman. So strange things can indeed happen in font
formatting.

I find those font previews more annoying than helpful so I always just
have them turned off. What happens if you do that?

It's in Customize Toolbars (left-click on the right edge of a toolbar)
Options Show font names in their font.

On Jun 4, 11:10*am, RichardS
wrote:
In Microsof Word 2003 click on "Format" then "font." *There is a preview of
the chosen font displayed in this drop down menu. *In my computer this
persists in being *displayed in arabic script - whatever the font chosen in
the upper part of the drop down menu. *Yes I have typed in Arabic as well as
English but not at the moment! *

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jun 4, 5:31 am, RichardS
wrote:
Word font preview sample in Arabic script - how can I change it to English?

What are you referring to?

Select a different font?

Do you type in Arabic?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joanne Joanne is offline

Default Word font preview sample in English and Arabic (complex script)

I'm getting both English and Arabic. If I choose Reveal Formatting, I see
Langauage: (Complex) Arabic Saudi Arabia, then English U.S.
I'd like to remove all complex font options as I don't need any
right-to-left fonts.

I've tried removing languages through Start-Programs-Microsoft Office-Office
Tools-Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings by removing all languages
except English (US) from the list of enabled languages. I selected English
(US) in the Choose a language option box. Under Available languages, it has
(All scripts)---is this the problem?

I've also tried removing any complex script options through control
Panel-Regional and Language Options. Under the Settings tab, I made sure
English (US) is the Default input language, and I made sure the only
Installed service is for English (United States). Where Arabic (Saudi Arabia)
had been an option, it's now gone. I rebooted.

I had had both English (US) and Arabic (SA) showing up at the top of the
list in Word when I selected Tools-Language-Set Language, but now it's just
English (US) there, so I can tell my changes have had some effect. But I
still see Complex Scripts options under Format-Fonts and also in
Tools-Options.

If I try to modify (and therefore reveal) the style in Styles and
Formatting, I see the following below the box:
Font: (Default) Times New Roman, 12 pt, English U.S., Complex Script Font:
Times New Roman, 12 pt, (Complex) Arabic Saudi Arabia, Left-to-right, Left,
Line spacing: single, Widow/Orphan control

How can I remove those complex font options and get back to just English?
Nothing against Arabic, it's just not necessary.

I'm using Word 2003 with SP 3 on a Windows XP Pro platform (if I've said
that right).
--
--Joanne