Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ose_jo

Default Saving to CD-R

I am trying to save Word documents to disc to send to a Client. They will
then alter them and send them back. Every time I save the documents they
save as read only and will not then allow alterations. How do I stop them
from saving as read only? Can't send the files as an e-mail attachment as
they do not yet have e-mail. Have I got the wrong CD's?
Any help greatfully received.

Jo
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi ose_jo,

Any files (not only Word documents) you put on a cd will become read-only.
Copies of those files keep that property.
Once copied from a cd, a file's read-only property can only be modified
manually (right-click and choose Properties).

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"ose_jo" wrote:

I am trying to save Word documents to disc to send to a Client. They will
then alter them and send them back. Every time I save the documents they
save as read only and will not then allow alterations. How do I stop them
from saving as read only? Can't send the files as an e-mail attachment as
they do not yet have e-mail. Have I got the wrong CD's?
Any help greatfully received.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

1. Do not under any circumstances save directly to CD. This corrupts the
document (and often the entire CD also). Save to your hard disk then copy to
the CD.

2. Make sure your users do the reverse: copy to their hard disk, modify,
then copy back to the CD.

Do it this way even if you have re-writable CDs.

Some set-ups are smart enough to clear the read-only setting when you copy
from CD to hard disk; if not, you need to right-click and change the
property manually.

"ose_jo" wrote in message
I am trying to save Word documents to disc to send to a Client. They will
then alter them and send them back. Every time I save the documents they
save as read only and will not then allow alterations. How do I stop them
from saving as read only? Can't send the files as an e-mail attachment as
they do not yet have e-mail. Have I got the wrong CD's?
Any help greatfully received.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don

?B?b3NlX2pv?= wrote in
:

I am trying to save Word documents to disc to send to a Client. They
will then alter them and send them back. Every time I save the
documents they save as read only and will not then allow alterations.
How do I stop them from saving as read only? Can't send the files as
an e-mail attachment as they do not yet have e-mail. Have I got the
wrong CD's? Any help greatfully received.

Jo

As previously advised "saving" files to a CD or any other removable media
is taboo.

Copying files is acceptable.

Changing the format of a file attributes from read-only is a simple task,
however if too complicated for your clients?

Add the FILES to ZIP file and then copy the ZIP file to a CD.
Within the ZIP the files will NOT be read-only.