Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mel H Mel H is offline

Default Hyperlinks and bookmarks in protected forms

Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the suggested
solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a form which
contains check boxes, if I protect the document, restricting editing to
"Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other documents, or bookmarks within
the document, will not work. I've tried adding a section break before and
after the checklist and just protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in
the unprotected section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the
hyperlink in a "FollowLink" macro, but again, it won't work once I protect
the document. I'm using Word 2007.
Any more suggestions, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The method of putting the hyperlink in a macrobutton field that calls a
FollowLink macro
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nksInForms.htm) definitely
should work. Exactly what happens when it "doesn't work"? And where is the
macro stored?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a
form which contains check boxes, if I protect the document,
restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other
documents, or bookmarks within the document, will not work. I've
tried adding a section break before and after the checklist and just
protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in the unprotected
section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the hyperlink in
a "FollowLink" macro, but again, it won't work once I protect the
document. I'm using Word 2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mel H Mel H is offline

Hi Jay, what happens is I'm unable to rest the cursor, or click, on the
macro/hyperlink. The "FollowLink" macro is stored in "All active templates
and documents".

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a
form which contains check boxes, if I protect the document,
restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other
documents, or bookmarks within the document, will not work. I've
tried adding a section break before and after the checklist and just
protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in the unprotected
section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the hyperlink in
a "FollowLink" macro, but again, it won't work once I protect the
document. I'm using Word 2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can never "rest the cursor" on an part of a protected document
that isn't inside a form field. But you should be able to double-click
the macrobutton field, and the macro will run and launch the
hyperlink.

You should also read and follow the part of the HLinksInForms article
titled "Double-click or single-click".

--
Jay

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a
form which contains check boxes, if I protect the document,
restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other
documents, or bookmarks within the document, will not work. I've
tried adding a section break before and after the checklist and just
protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in the unprotected
section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the hyperlink in
a "FollowLink" macro, but again, it won't work once I protect the
document. I'm using Word 2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mel H Mel H is offline

Thanks Jay, but no, definitely can't double-click the macro field after
protecting the document. I also set up an AutoExec macro to change it to
single-click activation, but again, it didn't work after protecting the doc.

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When creating a
form which contains check boxes, if I protect the document,
restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any hyperlinks to other
documents, or bookmarks within the document, will not work. I've
tried adding a section break before and after the checklist and just
protecting that section, but the hyperlinks in the unprotected
section still won't work. I've also tried embedding the hyperlink in
a "FollowLink" macro, but again, it won't work once I protect the
document. I'm using Word 2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Mel, I can't reproduce that behavior here. Not only does the macrobutton
field work, but if I go back to your original post and put a hyperlink into
an unprotected section of a protected form, that works too.

Are you getting any sort of error message? Are you able to launch hyperlinks
in documents that have no protection at all? Also, what is the setting of
the option "Use CTRL+click to follow hyperlink" in the Word Options
Advanced dialog?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The method of putting the hyperlink in a macrobutton field that
calls a FollowLink macro
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nksInForms.htm)
definitely should work. Exactly what happens when it "doesn't
work"? And where is the macro stored?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When
creating a form which contains check boxes, if I protect the
document, restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any
hyperlinks to other documents, or bookmarks within the document,
will not work. I've tried adding a section break before and
after the checklist and just protecting that section, but the
hyperlinks in the unprotected section still won't work. I've
also tried embedding the hyperlink in a "FollowLink" macro, but
again, it won't work once I protect the document. I'm using Word
2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mel H Mel H is offline

Hi Jay, I'm not getting any error message. Also, when I protect the document
with the Editing Restriction "No changes (read only)", the macro/hyperlinks
work fine. It's just with the "Filling in Forms" restriction that they don't
work.
The "Use CTRL+click to follow hyperlink" option is selected.
Thanks for your help - no worries if you've run out of suggestions, I'll get
around it somehow!

Mel H wrote:
Hi, I know this issue has been raised before and I've tried the
suggested solutions, but it still won't work for me! When
creating a form which contains check boxes, if I protect the
document, restricting editing to "Filling in Forms", any
hyperlinks to other documents, or bookmarks within the document,
will not work. I've tried adding a section break before and
after the checklist and just protecting that section, but the
hyperlinks in the unprotected section still won't work. I've
also tried embedding the hyperlink in a "FollowLink" macro, but
again, it won't work once I protect the document. I'm using Word
2007.
Any more suggestions, please?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The only additional suggestion I can think of is to go back to putting the
hyperlinks -- without the macrobutton fields -- in an unprotected section,
and turning off the "Ctrl+click" option so they should work with just a
click. If they still don't work, I'm stumped.