TWeekley

Default Multiple wildcards in an IF expression

In a mail merge document, I want to check if a merge field contains the word
"and," then insert plural text if it does, or singular text if it doesn't.
I've tried the following, but it does not seem to work, even though the help
files say that wildcards can be used: { IF {MERGEFIELD} = "* and *" "plural
text" "singular text" }

Anyone have suggestions?

Todd Weekley

macropod

Hi Todd,

AFAIK, the only practical way of doing this is if you know exactly where the
' and ' string will occur, then use '?' as the wildcard for each preceding
character. Alternatively, if you know the approximate position, you could
nest multiple IF tests covering all possibilities - Word will let you nest
up to 20 ....

Cheers