Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alma_gimpy alma_gimpy is offline

Default group autoshape & text

I am new to Word 2007 and would like to know if it is possible to group
shapes to text? In my document, I have made text boxes with arrows pointing
to lines in the text (to be seen as notes.) I can group the textbox and the
arrow shape of course, however, if I add any new lines into the text of the
document, this pushes the other lines down, but not the autoshapes. Then the
shape no longer corresponds to the correct line and I have to go through the
whole document, physically nudging each shape down to the correct line. I
also cannot move a line of text in the document without leaving it's bulleted
shape behind. I was wondering if I could somehow link these autoshapes that
I have created to individual lines of text so that when I alter the document,
they stay with the correct line.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Be sure to anchor the grouped objects to the relevant paragraph, and then,
in the Advanced Layout dialog box, set the vertical position relative to the
paragraph.

To access the dialog box, click Text Wrapping (in the Arrange group on the
context ribbon), and then click More Layout Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alma_gimpy[_2_] alma_gimpy[_2_] is offline

I think I am on the right track, however, I do not have the option to set
either the vertical nor the horizontal positioning to the paragraph. I have
the options of "page, top margin, bottom margin, left indent, right indent,
etc." Is the option "paragraph" not avaliable because I do not know what
"anchor the group objects" means and therefore didn't do that step? Also,
once we work this out and I do have the option of "paragraph", will that be
definite enough because I have multiple text boxes in one paragraph, so
really, I need them to be relative in a more line specific way. Is that
possible, or will it not matter?

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To anchor the objects means to attach the object anchor to the specified
paragraph. You can drag the anchor with the mouse to the desired paragraph.
To do this, you will have to display anchors: Click the Office button, and
then click Word Options. In the Display category, make sure that "Object
anchors" is checked. Note that you won't actually see the anchor until
you've selected an object (whose "Text Wrapping" is *not* "In line with
text").

Then use the Advanced Layout dialog box to set the options. Which placement
options that are best depends on how you want the objects to move with text.
For example, if you want it to move vertically, but remain in the same
horizontal position, just make sure to click the "Absolute" radio button
(under "Vertical"), choose "Paragraph" for "below," and then specify a
distance. Alternatively, you can position the text relative to a "Line" of
text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To anchor the objects means to attach the object anchor to the specified
paragraph.

Clarification: To anchor the objects to a certain paragraph means to attach
the object anchor to that paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alma_gimpy[_2_] alma_gimpy[_2_] is offline

Okay, I have figured out the anchors (thank you) and have more options in the
layout box (like "line", etc.) However, it is not working. I think it may
have something to do with the fact that the option "move with text" will not
apply. I have the option to click it, but afterwards, when I even put a
simple line into the document, the boxes do not move at all and then I go to
check the layout options and "move with text" is no longer checked. Is this
my problem, or is something else amiss? If this is my problem (hopefully the
last) is there any way to fix it so that it will stay checked??? Thank you!

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The placement options that you set apply only to the selected shape. If you
want to store a particular set of placement options for reuse, select an
example shape and save it as an AutoText entry.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alma_gimpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note also that if you are positioning a shape relative to a character, you
will then have to drag the anchor to a particular character in the text.