Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jenny B. Jenny B. is offline

Default Unwanted blank page before Odd Page section break when duplex prin

I have an instruction manual set up so each new chapter starts on the odd
(right) page using Odd Page section breaks. The problem is when I send the
whole file or an individual chapter to the printer for duplex printing a
blank page is inserted before the first page of the chapter causing the first
page to be either on the even page or blank on the back depending on how you
look at it. The following pages are then off by one as well with page 2 and
page 3 on the same sheet of paper and so on. I am using Work 2003. I've
looked at the article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm.
but it doesn't seem to really apply to my situation. I appreciate any help
you can give.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

I gave up using Odd and Even Page Breaks a long time ago as I found Word just
could not get it right (the logical way you think it should work, doesn't!)
and Word also had issues with different types of printers. I know that is
maybe not what you want to hear, but I just use the Next Page Page Breaks,
etc and insert my own blank pages as required when doing the final
pagination. I use an Autotext to do this very quickly. At least my final
document is exactly as I want it and it prints perfectly everytime.
If someone can explain how to get this feature to work propoerly, I will be
interested.
Best of luck
DeanH

"Jenny B." wrote:

I have an instruction manual set up so each new chapter starts on the odd
(right) page using Odd Page section breaks. The problem is when I send the
whole file or an individual chapter to the printer for duplex printing a
blank page is inserted before the first page of the chapter causing the first
page to be either on the even page or blank on the back depending on how you
look at it. The following pages are then off by one as well with page 2 and
page 3 on the same sheet of paper and so on. I am using Work 2003. I've
looked at the article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm.
but it doesn't seem to really apply to my situation. I appreciate any help
you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Odd and even section breaks should work correctly, assuming that you enable
"Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in Page Setup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jenny B." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Unwanted blank page before Odd Page section break when duplex

I use these obviously for duplexed jobs without any problems, it is just the
Odd/Even breaks that give me grief, especially with the printing aspect.
Maybe it is just me :-(
Thanks
DeanH

"Jenny B." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jenny B.[_2_] Jenny B.[_2_] is offline

I had "Different odd and even" already selected. I added "Mirror margins"
but that didn't help. Any other suggestions? This is really frustrating.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Odd and even section breaks should work correctly, assuming that you enable
"Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in Page Setup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you verified that the "Section start" in File | Page Setup, Layout tab,
is really "Odd page" for each section?

Is page numbering continuous throughout the document, or is it restarting
somewhere?

Also, have you looked at the printer settings in Control Panel?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Odd and even section breaks should work correctly, assuming that you
enable
"Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in Page Setup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jenny B.[_2_] Jenny B.[_2_] is offline

Yes, I changed "Section start" to "Odd page" and tried again with no luck.

The page numbering starts over with each chapter.

I also looked through the Properties of the printer in Control Panel and
didn't see any settings that would insert a new page.

I have figured out a "fix" - I send the document to the pdf "printer" and
then print from the pdf document. It galls me to use such a backwards way to
make it work. I'd still like to figure out what's going on especially since
it used to work correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I appreciate the help.