Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PattyE PattyE is offline

Default Track changes authors/reviewers in Word 2003

At this smallish law firm, our attorneys love using track changes, especially
with the "By Reviewer" feature to distinguish their changes by color.

We are using Office 2003.

The setting in ~Tools | Options | Security | Remove personal information
from file properties on save~ has gotten in our way. Although I have it
deselected in our normal template, when they send their documents out to a
client and the client has that option turned on, it wipes away the reviewer
distinction and all changes become labeled as "Author," and the reviewer
history is lost.

This issue first cropped up with a document authored by a client, so I need
to change it both ways.

Is there any way to override this setting?

Thanks so much for your help, past and present...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:30:01 -0700, PattyE
wrote:

At this smallish law firm, our attorneys love using track changes, especially
with the "By Reviewer" feature to distinguish their changes by color.

We are using Office 2003.

The setting in ~Tools | Options | Security | Remove personal information
from file properties on save~ has gotten in our way. Although I have it
deselected in our normal template, when they send their documents out to a
client and the client has that option turned on, it wipes away the reviewer
distinction and all changes become labeled as "Author," and the reviewer
history is lost.

This issue first cropped up with a document authored by a client, so I need
to change it both ways.

Is there any way to override this setting?

Thanks so much for your help, past and present...

Sorry, there is no way for a document to change or ignore the setting on
whatever Word installation it may be opened on.

You will have to deal with this as a people issue by placing instructions in the
email to which the document is attached, or resign yourself to having to keep a
copy of every document that's sent outside the firm and transferring the
clients' changes to that copy.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PattyE PattyE is offline

This is a real problem because:

"You will have to deal with this as a people issue by placing instructions
in the email to which the document is attached,"

We are taught to save attachments immediately and so, even with the best
instructions, we stand to lose the document history;

"or resign yourself to having to keep a copy of every document that's sent
outside the firm and transferring the clients' changes to that copy."

This is not practical for long documents and working on deadlines.