Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laverne Laverne is offline

Default Can't figure how to Automatically fill in frequently typed phrases

In my previous version of Word XP I was able to type a frequently typed
phrase or difficult to spell word (hepatosplenomegaly for example). I would
type in part of the word or phrase and only hit ENTER to fill in the rest. I
can't find the function in Word 2007 to do this. Anybody have any
suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:11:01 -0700, Laverne
wrote:

In my previous version of Word XP I was able to type a frequently typed
phrase or difficult to spell word (hepatosplenomegaly for example). I would
type in part of the word or phrase and only hit ENTER to fill in the rest. I
can't find the function in Word 2007 to do this. Anybody have any
suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AutoCorrect is still available. The dialog to manage it is now in the Options
dialog instead of the Tools menu. Go to Office button Word Options Proofing
and click the AutoCorrect Options button. You can select any word, phrase,
picture, etc., then go to that dialog and enter an 'alias'. Whenever you type
the alias in a document and follow it with a space or punctuation, it'll be
replaced by the full entry.

What you described is the AutoText feature, which in Word 2007 has become part
of the Building Blocks feature (Insert Quick Parts Building Blocks
Organizer). Because Microsoft fumbled this one, it's harder to use than in
previous versions -- the automatic completion tips are gone, and you have to
press F3 to activate the replacement instead of pressing Enter.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laverne Laverne is offline

Default Can't figure how to Automatically fill in frequently typed phr

Thank you so much, that works okay -- just somethine I'll get used to.
Everything changes and in the great scheme of things, if that's my worst
problem I'm pretty happy about it. Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Weyana Weyana is offline

Thank goodness SOMEONE was able to tell me what was going on with this! I am
a medical transcriptionist (Laverne, from your mention of hepatosplenomegaly,
sounds like you are an MT too, or similar!), and this is a major thorn in my
side! I just upgraded this week and decided to try it out tonight on a
couple of brief files that should have taken less than an hour...I was
messing around for THREE hours trying to figure out why AutoText wouldn't
work. Then when I found them in that stupid QuickText Gallery, I needed a
way to not have to go search for one everytime I needed it. (Quicker just to
type it sometimes, you know??)

....And right now, I am trying not to have a panic attack, because in its
glorious splendor, Word seems to have corrupted my Normal.dot, because they
don't even show up in the Gallery now. It would appear every AutoText I ever
created over the years has disappeared, and I'm staring at the screen
wondering what in the world I'm going to do about it.

*headdesk*headdesk*headdesk* I really hate computers sometimes. :[

wrote:

In my previous version of Word XP I was able to type a frequently typed
phrase or difficult to spell word (hepatosplenomegaly for example). I would
type in part of the word or phrase and only hit ENTER to fill in the rest. I
can't find the function in Word 2007 to do this. Anybody have any
suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What you described is the AutoText feature, which in Word 2007 has become part
of the Building Blocks feature (Insert Quick Parts Building Blocks
Organizer). Because Microsoft fumbled this one, it's harder to use than in
previous versions -- the automatic completion tips are gone, and you have to
press F3 to activate the replacement instead of pressing Enter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Weyana Weyana is offline

n/m. Crisis averted. Had a fairly recent backup that I remembered about,
but slapping Word around a bit got it working right again anyway.
Still...what an inconvenience. I don't know about you, but I don't actually
have the 'titles' of all my AT's memorized, and have relied on that prompt.
I think I may just switch back to XP for transcription and save the new
developer/"PageMaker" format for fiddle-farting around with in my spare time.

Thank you both again for putting heads together to discuss this!