Understanding tabs in TOC n styles

Old February 3rd 20, 10:40 AM
Manuel Barrena Manuel Barrena is offline

Default Understanding tabs in TOC n styles

When I create a Table of content, page numbers are written at the left margin in each table entry. In order to do that, paragrahp styles TOC 1 to TOC 9 must have left tab stops defined at the left margin position. By using reveal formatting button, I can see the tab stops defined in their correct positions, what is completely right. However, if I examine the style TOC 1 by using the modify style option through the Style pane and access to the Tabs section from the button Format, then no tab stops appear defined there. I wonder then where is stored the information about tab stops to be applied in each TOC entry? Why the tab stops information does not appear in the tab section of the paragrahp style? It seems like the tab information had seen manually defined, but this is not possible because the paragrahp style is automatically applied by Word, so what am I missing here?
Old February 3rd 20, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Tab _stops_ are automatically spaced (the US versions put them 1/2 inch
apart, I suppose European ones would put them 1 cm apart), and you can
change that default distance.

The leader-dots and the position of the page number in a ToC depend only
on having a "left tab" at the far right end of the paragraph ruler, and
that only appears in the ruler at the top of the window (maybe you even
have the rulers turned off). Show Non-Printing Characters shows you where
the tab characters are but not where the tab stops are.