Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PurpleChrome PurpleChrome is offline

Default Increasing Document Size - 20+Mb

Word 2003:
My original document started out at 88 pages and just under 9Mb. This is a
living document and is being updated, added to or deleted from on a regular
basis. The document is a policy & standards manual. My document is now over
20Mb in size, taking longer to load, longer pauses for auto-save, etc.

The number of pages has actually decreased from 88 to 84 over the past year.

Why is this happening? Is there junk in the doc that I can get rid of? If
so how?
How much more disk space is it going to use over the next few years ?

Thanks!
.. . . / DALE
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could start by making a copy of your document, then using that as a
basis, create a new document based on the same template, then copy and paste
all but the last paragraph mark from the copy into the new document and save
that. If you have multiple sections in your document, it may be worth
copying each section separately, without the section break, and re-add the
section break. If you have 'versions' turned on turn it off. If you have
illustrations, link them instead of embedding them.

There is no autosave in Word - only autosave recovery information. If you
want something more reliable, see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm

PurpleChrome wrote:
Word 2003:
My original document started out at 88 pages and just under 9Mb.
This is a living document and is being updated, added to or deleted
from on a regular basis. The document is a policy & standards
manual. My document is now over 20Mb in size, taking longer to load,
longer pauses for auto-save, etc.

The number of pages has actually decreased from 88 to 84 over the
past year.

Why is this happening? Is there junk in the doc that I can get rid
of? If so how?
How much more disk space is it going to use over the next few years ?

Thanks!
. . . / DALE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PurpleChrome PurpleChrome is offline

Graham,
this resolution is ridiculously simple.
My document is now down to 1 Mb, even less than when I first started.
BUT, why does this happen? What type of garbage is being stored in the
document to make it grow like that?
Thank you! Thank you!
.. . . / DALE

PurpleChrome wrote:
Word 2003:
My original document started out at 88 pages and just under 9Mb.
This is a living document and is being updated, added to or deleted
from on a regular basis. The document is a policy & standards
manual. My document is now over 20Mb in size, taking longer to load,
longer pauses for auto-save, etc.

The number of pages has actually decreased from 88 to 84 over the
past year.

Why is this happening? Is there junk in the doc that I can get rid
of? If so how?
How much more disk space is it going to use over the next few years ?

Thanks!
. . . / DALE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It doesn't always do the trick, but it is a good starting place All the
extraneous formatting information is stored in the area at the end of the
file and can become bloated or corrupt. By copying all but that final
paragraph mark you leave all the bumph behind and start with a clean sheet.

PurpleChrome wrote:
Word 2003:
My original document started out at 88 pages and just under 9Mb.
This is a living document and is being updated, added to or deleted
from on a regular basis. The document is a policy & standards
manual. My document is now over 20Mb in size, taking longer to
load, longer pauses for auto-save, etc.

The number of pages has actually decreased from 88 to 84 over the
past year.

Why is this happening? Is there junk in the doc that I can get rid
of? If so how?
How much more disk space is it going to use over the next few years
?

Thanks!
. . . / DALE