Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default Annoying Word icon

{Using Word 2002}

Near the bottom of the screen in Word on a bar where Page number,
Section number, and Language information is shown, there is an
annoying little icon that resembles an open book with either a thin
red check mark or an "X" on it. When I type, this pest distracts me
with its constant movement. I think I got rid of it once but don't
recall how. It seems to have reappeared after substantial changes in
my normal.dot file.

How do I get rid of it? Permanently.

TIA

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That icon represents the background spelling checker. (In Word 2003
when I hover the mouse over it, the tooltip says "Spelling and Grammar
Status".) The animation means the checker is at work; the check mark
means there are no unrecognized words, while the X means there is at
least one.

To get rid of it, go to Tools Options Spelling & Grammar and
uncheck both "Check spelling as you type" and "Check grammar as you
type". When you want a spelling check, press F7.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman