Michele

Default cant open Word file"~$Fall.doc"

Someone emailed me a file from Word (shows the Word Icon) but the file name
has the tilde and dollar sign in front and I cant open. I copied it to my
desktop and tried to rename it...and I can't get anything legible. ANy
suggestions?

Jay Freedman

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 06:35:04 -0700, "Michele"
wrote:

Someone emailed me a file from Word (shows the Word Icon) but the file name
has the tilde and dollar sign in front and I cant open. I copied it to my
desktop and tried to rename it...and I can't get anything legible. ANy
suggestions?

They sent you the wrong file. This is a temporary file that Word
creates -- it's called an "owner file" because Word uses it to
indicate that the real document is in use and can't be opened for
editing by someone else (see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). The document itself will
not have "~$" in the file name. Reply to the sender and ask for the
correct file.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 12:04 AM