Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] asa@lexiconsult.se is offline

Default need more than nine levels in multilevel list

I made a multilevel list. I have defined a new list style. I have
linked each level to a style. I have headings and paragraphs and lists
of different types that all have their own level in my multilevel
list. Nine isn't enough.

I have four headings and three paragraphs that need to all be linked
so the paragraphs restart numbering after a heading. Then I want a
numbered list to start over at one after a new heading. That is 8
levels. Then I want an (a) list and and (i) list. And there's only
room for one of them. I want those to also start over after a heading
or a paragraph.

Is there a way to work around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

" wrote:

I made a multilevel list. I have defined a new list style. I have
linked each level to a style. I have headings and paragraphs and lists
of different types that all have their own level in my multilevel
list. Nine isn't enough.

I have four headings and three paragraphs that need to all be linked
so the paragraphs restart numbering after a heading. Then I want a
numbered list to start over at one after a new heading. That is 8
levels. Then I want an (a) list and and (i) list. And there's only
room for one of them. I want those to also start over after a heading
or a paragraph.

Is there a way to work around this?

Short answr is "No Can Do"!!!

See this older thread, it is informative and entertaining, if you read all
the posts, that is, of course, as you will see...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro....public.word.*
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] asa@lexiconsult.se is offline

On 12 Dec, 15:21, Jean-Guy Marcil
wrote:
" wrote:
I made a multilevel list. I have defined a new list style. I have
linked each level to a style. I have headings and paragraphs and lists
of different types that all have their own level in my multilevel
list. Nine isn't enough.

I have four headings and three paragraphs that need to all be linked
so the paragraphs restart numbering after a heading. Then I want a
numbered list to start over at one after a new heading. That is 8
levels. Then I want an (a) list and and (i) list. And there's only
room for one of them. I want those to also start over after a heading
or a paragraph.

Is there a way to work around this?

Short answr is "No Can Do"!!!

See this older thread, it is informative and entertaining, if you read all
the posts, that is, of course, as you will see...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...mbering/browse...

I agree that this is ugly and useless:
1 Library
1.1 Volume
1.1.1 Book
1.1.1.1 Part
1.1.1.1.1 Chapter
1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 1
1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 3
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 4
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 5
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 6
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 7
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 8
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Heading 9

But what I'm trying to do is quite reasonable:

1 Heading 1
1.1. Paragraph 1
(a) text
2. Heading 1
(a) text

I just want a bunch of different numbered styles to restart numbering
after a heading. Surely there must be a way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer[_2_] Mary Sauer[_2_] is offline

Look here
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On 12 Dec, 20:05, "Mary Sauer" wrote:
Look herehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

--

wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

after a heading. Surely there must be a way?- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Thanks for the link to Shauna Kelly's article. I have read it many
times before and I based my numbering on it. That's how I got this
far. But it doesn't solve my problem. I still only have nine levels. I
need 10 different numbered styles! How can I manage that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if this thread helps (note that more levels than four will be difficult
for readers to keep track of):

18 levels of numbering without tears
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4c92dd6c?hl=en

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I made a multilevel list. I have defined a new list style. I have
linked each level to a style. I have headings and paragraphs and lists
of different types that all have their own level in my multilevel
list. Nine isn't enough.

I have four headings and three paragraphs that need to all be linked
so the paragraphs restart numbering after a heading. Then I want a
numbered list to start over at one after a new heading. That is 8
levels. Then I want an (a) list and and (i) list. And there's only
room for one of them. I want those to also start over after a heading
or a paragraph.

Is there a way to work around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

18 levels of numbering without tearshttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.numbering/browse...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

I made a multilevel list. I have defined a new list style. I have
linked each level to a style. I have headings and paragraphs and lists
of different types that all have their own level in my multilevel
list. Nine isn't enough.

I have four headings and three paragraphs that need to all be linked
so the paragraphs restart numbering after a heading. Then I want a
numbered list to start over at one after a new heading. That is 8
levels. Then I want an (a) list and and (i) list. And there's only
room for one of them. I want those to also start over after a heading
or a paragraph.

Is there a way to work around this?- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Thank you Stefan,

I have been trying to understand what you mean for a while now. A
listnum field and a styleref field combined. Interesting! But where? I
am configuring my numbered lists in Word 2007. I have defined a list
style and linked each level to a style. There was room for nine. For
my tenth level I suppose I need to define a new list style and link it
to my tenth style. In my first list style, I named my listnum field. I
guess I somehow refer to that somewhere?

I don't want any fields in my template. I don't know exactly when and
where the user will want to add that tenth level. I just want the
possibility for my list to restart at one after a heading. That is why
I need my tenth level.

Please help!

Åsa Cronqvist
LexiConsult, Stockholm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, you can use the list name in the LISTNUM field in order to make use of
that particular list.

Note that there is no way to change Word's built-in behavior to allow for a
tenth level; you will have to make use of fields, one way or another, to get
what you want.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP