Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Default Question about track changes and comments

I am using office 2007. If you are done collaborating on a document, and you
accept all the changes, and save the file as final, or if you do Preparemark
as final, how can you make sure the document that is sent out is clean. It
appears that the track changes and Show markup settings do not travel with
the document, but are rather user settings. I got this infomation from one
of Beth Melton's earlier posts. Is there a way around this, other than
deleting comments, etc...?

thanks so much,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you Accept All Changes, then the changes are gone forever. You have
only your final text. But if you send out a document with Changes in
it, the recipient will (be able to) see them.

On Jun 10, 4:19*pm, Nat wrote:
I am using office 2007. If you are done collaborating on a document, and you
accept all the changes, and save the file as final, or if you do Preparemark
as final, how can you make sure the document that is sent out is clean. *It
appears that the track changes and Show markup settings do not travel with
the document, but are rather user settings. *I got this infomation from one
of Beth Melton's earlier posts. *Is there a way around this, other than
deleting comments, etc...?

thanks so much,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

There is no way round it. Accepting all changes discards the change history
so that it does not exist (and therefore will not show) in the document but
it does not affect comments; if you don't want a recipient to see comments
you must delete them from the document yourself.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Nat" wrote in message
I am using office 2007. If you are done collaborating on a document, and
you
accept all the changes, and save the file as final, or if you do
Preparemark
as final, how can you make sure the document that is sent out is clean.
It
appears that the track changes and Show markup settings do not travel with
the document, but are rather user settings. I got this infomation from
one
of Beth Melton's earlier posts. Is there a way around this, other than
deleting comments, etc...?

thanks so much,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Nat,

The settings for how changes are displayed (i.e. the colors used for various markings) are yours alone. Those settings do not
travel with the documents. The changes made and marked do travel with the document.

You also mentioned the 'Mark as Final' feature of Word 2007.

Note that in using Office Button=Prepare=Mark as Final, if there are pending changes in the document they will still be in the
document, it does not clean the document. That 'Final' choice basically puts an advanced 'read only' condition on the file, but you
can take it off again by repeating the 'Mark as Final' choice.

You can use Office Button=Prepare=Document Inspector to determine if the document has been 'cleaned' of changes. The two choices
the Document Inspector can run for you is Accept (incorporate) all changes or Reject (remove) all changes.

============
"Nat" wrote in message ...
I am using office 2007. If you are done collaborating on a document, and you
accept all the changes, and save the file as final, or if you do Preparemark
as final, how can you make sure the document that is sent out is clean. It
appears that the track changes and Show markup settings do not travel with
the document, but are rather user settings. I got this infomation from one
of Beth Melton's earlier posts. Is there a way around this, other than
deleting comments, etc...?

thanks so much,
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Thanks so much for all that replied. You basically confirmed what I always
thought. The key point here is to convey to the users the difference between
personal application settings vs. document settings.

I really appreciate the feedback.

"Nat" wrote in message ...
I am using office 2007. If you are done collaborating on a document, and you
accept all the changes, and save the file as final, or if you do Preparemark
as final, how can you make sure the document that is sent out is clean. It
appears that the track changes and Show markup settings do not travel with
the document, but are rather user settings. I got this infomation from one
of Beth Melton's earlier posts. Is there a way around this, other than
deleting comments, etc...?

thanks so much,
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Nat,

There is an opportunity to also provide feedback to Microsoft this month on how to try to make the track changes feature less
confusing in future by commenting on this Q&A article on that topic from the Microsoft, Word Team on their blog.
"Word Q & A: Is the change tracking off?"
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...cking-off.aspx

FYI, this is the Team's prior article explaining the feature (complete with circles and arrows g)
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...eal-title.aspx