Cteckie

Default Prevent users from Printing a Word 2003 Document

I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print function so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...
Anne Troy

Impossible, really. We'd have to use VBA to keep them from printing it, and
they can just disable macros. There's really no way to keep anyone from
printing anything you send them.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print function

so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Cteckie

VBA? a pre written script? That might work, I don't think our users will
realize to disable the macros to print it... Can I find this on the web? Is
this something you can send me? (secure e-mail,
rename file extension) Thanks...

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print function

so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Anne Troy

I'm sorry. I'm no programmer, but I'm sure one of the other programmers will
come along. Also, be aware that most machines are set to disable macros by
default...

So... AF?? You're a sugar jet?
Hard to believe, but I used to be a mech on P3s and A3s.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print

function
so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Doug Robbins

For this to work on just one document, the macro would have to be in that
document and assuming that your organisation has the macro security level
set to at least medium (you're crazy if it's not set at least to that), the
users will be asked if they want to enable or disable the macros that are in
the document when they open it. If they choose to disable the macros, which
they should do as a matter of course, a macro in the document will do you no
good.

However, for your reference, if you create macros named FilePrint and
FilePrintDefault, those macros will run (subject to the above) when the user
attempts to print.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print
function

so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Put a disclaimer on the first page that it's that big. That would CERTAINLY
stop me from hitting that Print button.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print function
so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Cteckie

Doug:

Sorry lost/confused about the FilePrint and or FilePrintDefault macro...
Will this disable printing for this document... All of our users security
level is set at medium... Thanks...

"Cteckie" wrote in message
I have an 840 page Word document and I want to disable any print
function
so
users cannot print the document... Any suggestion would greatly be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Anne Troy

What Doug means is that you could, for instance, create a macro that throws
up a msgbox that says "Printing of this document is prohibited." As long as
you name the macro as directed by Doug, then instead of the document
printing, the macro runs, and they'd get the message.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com