Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] propertyguide.matthew@gmail.com is offline

Default Breadcrumb trail in Word 2007?

I am finding Word 2007 hard to customize, and hard to figure out how
to do things that I used to know how to do in Word 2003. I seem to
have entirely lost the ability to choose toolbar elements at will.

For example, in the old Word 2003, I liked the ability to make visible
a breadcrumb trail showing the location of the file I was working on,
which popped up when I selected 'web view'. If I wanted other people
in the office to know what file I was working on, I just copied and
pasted the breadcrumb trail into my Yahoo Messenger and sent it to
them.

Now that same operation has become much more complex.

And in general, what happened to toolbar customization? Why do we
have to have the ribbon filled up with all this junk we don't want?
It's confusing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

In a nutshell customizing toolbars is a thing of the past because
*toolbars*are a thing of the past. The one remnant left is the Quick Access
Bar which can be modified through Office ButtonWord OptionsCustomize.

Re your "breadcrumbs", I don't know what to suggest there other than a
Document Location command you can add to the QA bar. If I understand your
need it should do the trick.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/25/07 10:41 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

I am finding Word 2007 hard to customize, and hard to figure out how
to do things that I used to know how to do in Word 2003. I seem to
have entirely lost the ability to choose toolbar elements at will.

For example, in the old Word 2003, I liked the ability to make visible
a breadcrumb trail showing the location of the file I was working on,
which popped up when I selected 'web view'. If I wanted other people
in the office to know what file I was working on, I just copied and
pasted the breadcrumb trail into my Yahoo Messenger and sent it to
them.

Now that same operation has become much more complex.

And in general, what happened to toolbar customization? Why do we
have to have the ribbon filled up with all this junk we don't want?
It's confusing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm trying hard to come to terms with the ribbon too and I cannot help
feeling this is a GRAVE error. I should not have to live with all this
garbage on my real estate. Task-orientated custom toolbars were a boon to
productivity. However, there is an awful lot to like about W2007, especially
when it is running in Vista, so I'm just going to have to knuckle down to
it.

Microsoft has made available an interactive tool for finding Word 2003
commands in Word 2007 he

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HA100744321033

Microsoft don't monitor these newsgroups, so use Word, Options, Resources
tabs to tell Microsoft how they can make this a better experience by
bringing us a what WE WANT: a fully customizable Ribbon.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finding Word 2007 hard to customize, and hard to figure out how
to do things that I used to know how to do in Word 2003. I seem to
have entirely lost the ability to choose toolbar elements at will.

For example, in the old Word 2003, I liked the ability to make visible
a breadcrumb trail showing the location of the file I was working on,
which popped up when I selected 'web view'. If I wanted other people
in the office to know what file I was working on, I just copied and
pasted the breadcrumb trail into my Yahoo Messenger and sent it to
them.

Now that same operation has become much more complex.

And in general, what happened to toolbar customization? Why do we
have to have the ribbon filled up with all this junk we don't want?
It's confusing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

You can add the following to your Normal.dotm template. Be sure to stick it
in a module. It will add the breadcrumb trail to your title bar. Not that
you can select it and use it, but at least it will give you the visual
reminder of what folder you are working in.

Sub AutoOpen()

'Displays the Document Path in the Title Bar

ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

End Sub

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
oups.com...