Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Default How do I apply outline numbering to Headings in MS Word 2007?

Previous versions of MS Word provided outline numbering as an option for
headings when defining styles. For example:
1. Heading 1 Title for Section 1
1.1 Heading 2 Title for Section 1.1
1.1.1 Heading 3 Title for Section 1.1.1
1.1.2 Heading 3 Title for Section 1.1.2
2. Heading 1 Title for Section 2
2.1 Heading 2 Title for Section 2.2

This does not appear to be an option when modifying the style for Headings
in MS Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Thanks for the quick reply, Summer. I had seen that command and it works fine
within the document for a multi-level list. What I don't seem to find is a
way to apply multi-level list formatting to Headings within the Style
function. Maybe I'm missing something -- but even if the style specifies
"Level 2" or "Level 3," when I try to apply a number format the numbering
remains at Level 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Your observation is correct: in Word 2007, the Modify Style dialog box only
allows you to apply/modify single-level lists associated with styles.

To associate heading styles with a multi-level list, select one of the
built-in lists or click Define New Multilevel List; you will then see a
dialog box similar to the old Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box
found in Word 97-2003. See also
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom