Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jovilaura

Default Blank even pages and footer format ?

Hi,

Background:
I'm in the process of creating a global template. The template will be used
in a process to generate .doc files from another format. The idea is to get
the template (using macros, styles etc) to automatically perform as much of
the formatting as possible. Ive got hundreds, if not thousands, of documents
to convert over time and any little thing that can be done automatically,
using a macro, a style, etc, is really helpful.

I've managed to find solutions to most of my problems on this site as well
as on the Word MVP site, but some I havent seen a mention of. I'm not
necessarily looking for "easy" answers, I guess what I'm mostly wanting is a
confirmation that these things can be done in the first place (although
€śeasy€ť answers will be much appreciated, too!). Im using Word 2003, and am
not fluent in writing macros from scratch.

The things my template would IDEALLY do a

1) All H1-styled text to start on an odd page. If H1 starts on an even page,
a blank page would be created. Is there a way to write a macro to the effect
€śif €śH1page€ť = odd, then blankpage=no, else blankpage=yes€ť. Alternatively, is
there a way to assign a section break to the H1 style? Creating section
breaks manually isnt ideal at all.

2) Delete footers from a blank (even) page. Is there a way to do it so that
deleting/hiding the footer from this one page doesnt interfere the numbering
throughout the document?

3) In a footer, create a cross-reference to a heading so that its updated
automatically. For example, if the chapter is called €śContents€ť, the footer
would read €śContents€ť, and when the chapter is €śIntro€ť, the footer would
display €śIntro€ť. If it isnt possible to crossreference like this, is there a
way to change the footers when the chapter name changes without having to
manually create a section break (see point 1).

4) In a footer, create a cross-reference to a heading that is in another
Word document.

5) Delete all headers (the conversion process creates headers, and Id like
them to be automatically deleted).

6) Number the pages in the footers so that the first chapter (say,
€śContents€ť) uses page number formatting i, ii, iii and the next chapter (say,
Intro) restarts numbering from 1 and uses format 1, 2, 3 etc.

Any help that you can provide will be appreciated, Ive managed to get
myself a headache with this and after days and days of trial and error
havent seem to have got anywhere with these particular aspects.

Thanks in advance,
Laura