Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stef[_2_] stef[_2_] is offline

Default delete section break but keep formatting ABOVE it

Word 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,
I want to delete a section break but retain the formatting as it is
*above* the section break, not below.
In other words, I want to just end the document where the section break
is--no need for anything below that.
But the formatting is a problem as when one deletes a section break, it
usually keeps the formatting that is *below* the break; and I need the
opposite.
Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: delete section break but keep formatting ABOVE it

Hello!

I understand your concern. Here's how you can delete a section break but keep the formatting above it:
  1. First, make sure that you can see the section break. Go to the "Home" tab and click on the "Show/Hide" button (it looks like a paragraph symbol) to display all formatting marks, including section breaks.
  2. Place your cursor just above the section break that you want to delete.
  3. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. This will delete the section break and merge the two sections into one.
  4. If the formatting above the section break changes, you can use the "Undo" button (or press "Ctrl+Z" on your keyboard) to undo the deletion and restore the formatting.
  5. If you want to remove all the content below the section break, you can select it and press "Delete" on your keyboard.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

A section break stores the formatting of the preceding section. As you
delete the break, Word deletes the associated section properties and applies
those
of the following section. You can work around this by duplicating the
settings from the section you are about to delete. See the "If you
really want to delete the temporary section break ..." section of the
article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"stef" wrote in message
Word 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,
I want to delete a section break but retain the formatting as it is
*above* the section break, not below.
In other words, I want to just end the document where the section break
is--no need for anything below that.
But the formatting is a problem as when one deletes a section break, it
usually keeps the formatting that is *below* the break; and I need the
opposite.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

I think I learned this trick from Jay Freedman (indeed, I thought he'd
written an article about it, but if so, I can't find it).

Go to the section above the section break and do File Page Setup. Click on
each of the three tabs (I'm not sure this is strictly necessary, but it
can't hurt). Click OK.

Now, go to the last section and press F4. That will repeat all the page
setup commands, thus making the last section set up like your earlier
section. And you can now delete the section break.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"stef" wrote in message
Word 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,
I want to delete a section break but retain the formatting as it is
*above* the section break, not below.
In other words, I want to just end the document where the section break
is--no need for anything below that.
But the formatting is a problem as when one deletes a section break, it
usually keeps the formatting that is *below* the break; and I need the
opposite.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stef[_2_] stef[_2_] is offline

Shauna,
Thanks for the effort but absolutely no results or change from procedure....
Perhaps because I am using Word 2002?

"stef" wrote in message
Word 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,
I want to delete a section break but retain the formatting as it is
*above* the section break, not below.
In other words, I want to just end the document where the section break
is--no need for anything below that.
But the formatting is a problem as when one deletes a section break, it
usually keeps the formatting that is *below* the break; and I need the
opposite.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stef[_2_] stef[_2_] is offline

Apologies,
I repeated it and it has now worked.
I must have done something wrong the 1st time.
Thanks.

stef wrote:
Shauna,
Thanks for the effort but absolutely no results or change from
procedure....
Perhaps because I am using Word 2002?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, I think at least part of that may have come from me, but it works
only in certain specific cases (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/DetachEnvelope.htm) because it doesn't
account for section properties such as columns, header/footer content, etc.

"stef" wrote in message
Word 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,
I want to delete a section break but retain the formatting as it is
*above* the section break, not below.
In other words, I want to just end the document where the section break
is--no need for anything below that.
But the formatting is a problem as when one deletes a section break, it
usually keeps the formatting that is *below* the break; and I need the
opposite.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
stef[_2_] stef[_2_] is offline

Well it worked, and I sure appreciate the help...
I will check out the link as well.
Thanks again.