Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Knucklehead

Default At default setting, type appears microscopicly small. Why?

Set at New Times Roman 12, the type is impossible to see on the document.
What is the simple solution that I'm missing?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

View | Zoom ?

Knucklehead wrote:
Set at New Times Roman 12, the type is impossible to see on the document.
What is the simple solution that I'm missing?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

I solved a similar problem at age 45 by acquiring bifocal eyeglasses.
Now I actually like the crispness of 10-point typefaces, too.

Perhaps a short-term solution would be to pick up a pair of
drugstore reading glasses.

"Knucklehead" wrote in message
news
Set at New Times Roman 12, the type is impossible to see on the document.
What is the simple solution that I'm missing?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Have you looked at this document on anyone else's computer? Does it look the
same?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Knucklehead" wrote in message
news
Set at New Times Roman 12, the type is impossible to see on the document.
What is the simple solution that I'm missing?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Have you changed your display resolution lately to a higher
resolution--say from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024? Try setting
it back to the previous resolution just to see if you can read
the text better. If gains nothing to increase one's resolution if
one can't read the screen's data, right?

Start Settings Control Panel Display Settings
and click on the Advanced button. If you
have trouble reading type, set DPI to 120
to see if it helps. You can always set it back
to 96 DPI (standard setting)

A couple of things that may or may not help but are worth the effort.
First, are you using a regular monitor or a laptop? If the latter, do you
have Clear Type Tuning enabled via the Clear Type Tuning control panel?
If not, you would likely benefit greatly from having Clear Type Tuning
enabled and set to your particular preferences. Try this:

Start Settings Control Panel

If you see a Clear Type Tuning control panel, you have a great facility to
improve the readability of your LCD screen's type.

Click on the Clear Type Tuning control panel. When it opens, Check the
Turn on ClearType box. Then click on the Start Wizard button. Follow the
instructions to select the type views you like best. The control panel will then
enhance your LCD's legibility based on your selections.

If you decide you don't like the results, start the wizard over, or uncheck
the Turn on ClearType box.

I installed Clear Type Tuning on my system even though I have a nice sharp
19" monitor. Clear Type Tuning made a world of difference! I'm very happy
with it. But the key thing is that Clear Type Tuning was designed specifically
to dramatically improve the legibility of laptop screen type.

If you already had Clear Type Tuning enabled, uncheck the box in the control
panel and see if that makes a difference.

My aplogies for "talking your ear off" but had some ideas that might help you.