Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PeterBBailey PeterBBailey is offline

Default Styles in Word 2007

In earlier versions of Word, any style name used was displayed at the top
left of the screen. Now, I see a few styles shown at the top right of the
screen, but, if I'm in a style that's not one of those shown, where do I know
what style it is? Yes, I can right-click and see what it is, but, that's kind
of silly. Why isn't there any easy way to know what style you're in? I work
for a publishing company and we get hundreds of Word documents from the
outside world, and, I need to determine their structure to some degree. It's
frustrating to not be able to see the styles used.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:00:02 -0700, PeterBBailey
wrote:

In earlier versions of Word, any style name used was displayed at the top
left of the screen. Now, I see a few styles shown at the top right of the
screen, but, if I'm in a style that's not one of those shown, where do I know
what style it is? Yes, I can right-click and see what it is, but, that's kind
of silly. Why isn't there any easy way to know what style you're in? I work
for a publishing company and we get hundreds of Word documents from the
outside world, and, I need to determine their structure to some degree. It's
frustrating to not be able to see the styles used.
Thanks.

There are several solutions to this, but here's the one I think is the
most elegant: The style dropdown that was on the Formatting toolbar in
earlier versions of Word is still available and can be put on the
Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).

Right-click the QAT and choose Customize. In the dialog, set the
"Choose commands from" box to "Commands not in the Ribbon". Select the
command that says "Style" and has a dropdown icon on the right side.
Click the Add button and click OK.

The toolbar will always show the style at the current insertion point,
and you can use the dropdown to apply another style. To determine what
styles appear in the list and in what order, open the Styles task pane
(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and click the Manage Styles button at the bottom.

You might also like the little floating dialog you get by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+S.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

[...]

Wow! Thanks, Jay. Yes, that's what I need. Now, why isn't that there by
default? Oh well. Both your suggestions are brilliant.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

wrote:
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hmm, that's a good one. I hadn't seen it before, but I can reproduce
it here. Maybe I should file a report, too?

--
Jay

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:13:03 -0500, "Beth Melton"
wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
roups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I thought you did, I could have sworn you were part of the previous
discussion about this...

If you'd like to file a bug on it too, it definitely couldn't hurt. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and
then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
groups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't seem to reproduce that error. I think I did what was described, but
I get only correct/expected behavior, no error, and no switch to draft.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Sorry Herb, I wasn't trying to provide exact repro steps, just enough info
to see if that's what Greg was referring to. Here you go:

- Create a new document
- In Word Options make sure "Prompt to update style is turned on"
- Switch to Print Layout view if necessary
-Type =rand() and press Enter
- Select the first paragraph
- From the Quick Styles gallery apply "No Spacing"
- From the Quick Styles gallery apply "Heading 1"
- Hover over "No Spacing" in the gallery
- Then hover over "Heading 1" in the gallery

You may need to repeat the hovering back and forth a few times before you
encounter the error. Turn off "Prompt to update" and the error no longer
occurs.

Note it can occur with any two styles - I just pick two next to each other
to make the repro steps easy. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt to
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error", and
then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it. :-)

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
legroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Since the "Prompt to Update Styles" option is off by default how are you
reproducing it when you use the /a switch to start Word?

Personally, I leave the Prompt To Update Styles turned off since styles are
so easy to update these days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Yep. I see it now... even happens with the /a switch. Cute.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Sorry Herb, I wasn't trying to provide exact repro steps, just enough
info to see if that's what Greg was referring to. Here you go:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I started Word with the /a switch, turned Prompt to Update on, then
proceeded. In Safe mode, which is different, you can't access the Advanced
settings, so it's impossible to test the bug in Safe mode.

I usually keep Prompt to Update turned off. For updating styles, I've had
RedefineStyle assigned to Ctrl+Shift+D ever since that command was
introduced back around WinWord 97 (I think... but I don't recall). The nice
thing about it is that it even works on Normal. It's a real time saver when
designing templates.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Okay....I guess I'm not following why you expected the issue to not occur
when you started Word using the /a switch and then selected the Prompt to
Update Style option. After all, that's what is causing the error to occur
and if it's enabled you'll encounter the bug.

Perhaps you're trying to figure out the logic behind the issue? The
underlying cause is since Live Preview does change the format of the text in
the document. and when you hover over various styles, Word "thinks" the
format for the paragraph changed, but then discovers it doesn't and throws
the error.

(FWIW, this bug was filed with all of the details quite some time ago.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I had no such expectation, per se. But, my first impulse when replicating an
error is to strip away as much of my own settings as I can to see if the
error still occurs. It's part of my normal routine when testing Word errors
of any kind. shrug

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

What I get when I do that is that it throws me out of Word - no error
message, no nothing, just leaves Word running as it was and switches to
another application (whatever Alt+Tab would have given me). I had the same
thing happen yesterday in a different situation (but I shouldn't really
hijack the thread).

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
glegroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Beth,

Yes that is what I was referring to. The Google Groups here on my PC
wasn't working for two days. That is why I didn't see any or repond
to replies. Thanks.

Greg

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/boo...x#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ:http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine:http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site:http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message

oups.com...

Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

That *is* odd. Do you also have Word 2003 installed? I kept encountering odd
errors, similar to what you described, when I had Office 2003 and Office
2007 installed. It was never enough that I could pinpoint the issue. I don't
know if it was caused by Office 2003 or if there were some stray bits from
one of the beta versions but when I wiped it all and installed only the RTM
version of Office 2007 I don't encounter the oddities anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error",
and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it.
:-)

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Interesting. I do have both 2003 and 2007 installed but this machine has
never been near a beta.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

I'm not Jay, but if you're referring to the oddity of having "Prompt
Update Style", the message box stating "Word encountered an error",
and then
switching to Draft view, I haven't heard anything but I reported it.
:-)

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
ooglegroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Then it may have been Word 2003 - or it could have been reformatting too.
;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
news:1177430115.686827.223460@u32g2000prd. googlegroups.com...
Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Personally, I leave the Prompt To Update Styles turned off since
styles are
so easy to update these days.

I don't know that much about styles because I rarely use Word for
anything. I just like figuring out how it works ;-)

Is there a way to open the same dialog that "Prompt to update style"
provides? I like how it gives you the option to update the style to
match the selection or to reapply the style all in one place.

On Apr 25, 3:36 pm, "Beth Melton" wrote:
[...]

info to see if that's what Greg was referring to. Here you go:- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

That's the only dialog box I know of that provides you with the choice. In
previous versions I used the Styles pane and selected "Update style name
to match selection" when I wanted to update the style. In Word 2007 you can
also right-click the style in the Quick Style gallery and use the Update
command. (There are several places you'll find this command.)

What I find handy about using this method is it will update the style and
apply it if it's not already applied. I also use this for removing direct
formatting in documents and replacing it with styles. First I'll use the
"Select text with Similar formatting command" (available when you
right-click a paragraph - depending on the version you're using it's under
the Styles menu when you right-click), and then use the Update Style
command. If the user was consistent with their direct formatting this
process is fairly quick. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Personally, I leave the Prompt To Update Styles turned off since
styles are
so easy to update these days.

I don't know that much about styles because I rarely use Word for
anything. I just like figuring out how it works ;-)

Is there a way to open the same dialog that "Prompt to update style"
provides? I like how it gives you the option to update the style to
match the selection or to reapply the style all in one place.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Hmm...that's too bad. I hope they get that bug resolved or that I can
figure out how to bring up that dialog with VBA. I like it.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Beth Melton wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Personally, I leave the Prompt To Update Styles turned off since
styles are
so easy to update these days.

I don't know that much about styles because I rarely use Word for
anything. I just like figuring out how it works ;-)

Is there a way to open the same dialog that "Prompt to update style"
provides? I like how it gives you the option to update the style to
match the selection or to reapply the style all in one place.

Word 2007 Styles Tengu Microsoft Word Help 25 April 5th 09 03:06 PM
Word 2007 Reference Styles Foss Microsoft Word Help 1 March 29th 07 01:11 AM
Styles in Word 2007 Double R New Users 19 March 6th 07 07:21 AM
Word 2007 Styles Chipper Page Layout 2 January 21st 07 09:01 PM
Word 2007 - styles combo-box add-in (Office 2007 COM Add-In UI customization example) Patrick Schmid Microsoft Word Help 9 August 31st 06 11:03 AM