Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fidelco foster fidelco foster is offline

Default jumping cursor

When I am typing a sentence in Word, half way through a sentence, the cursor
will jump to a different place in the text. If I don't immediately notice
it, I have to back off the misplaced letters, scroll down to where I was and
continue typing. It is driving me nuts. I have Word 2007, and a laptop
with a wireless mouse and keyboard therefore I am not brushing the touchpad
with my fingers. Others have written about this and one suggestion was to
disable the touchpad. I have gone to Control Panel and cannot find any place
to disable the touchpad. Another thought was to disable the Speech
Recognition which I don't find either. I don't know whether it is enabled or
not. I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505 laptop.

Thanks for any help you might offer. Fidelco Foster

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 4, 10:16*am, fidelco foster
wrote:
When I am typing a sentence in Word, half way through a sentence, the cursor
will jump to a different place in the text. *If I don't immediately notice
it, I have to back off the misplaced letters, scroll down to where I was and
continue typing. *It is driving me nuts. * I have Word 2007, and a laptop
with a wireless mouse and keyboard therefore I am not brushing the touchpad
with my fingers. *Others have written about this and one suggestion was to
disable the touchpad. *I have gone to Control Panel and cannot find any place
to disable the touchpad. *Another thought was to disable the Speech
Recognition which I don't find either. *I don't know whether it is enabled or
not. *I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505 laptop. *

Thanks for any help you might offer. *Fidelco Foster

Try Dell's tech support too?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The touchpad you will probably have to disable in the BIOS (often accessed
by pressing DEL whilst booting)

fidelco foster wrote:
When I am typing a sentence in Word, half way through a sentence, the
cursor will jump to a different place in the text. If I don't
immediately notice it, I have to back off the misplaced letters,
scroll down to where I was and continue typing. It is driving me
nuts. I have Word 2007, and a laptop with a wireless mouse and
keyboard therefore I am not brushing the touchpad with my fingers.
Others have written about this and one suggestion was to disable the
touchpad. I have gone to Control Panel and cannot find any place to
disable the touchpad. Another thought was to disable the Speech
Recognition which I don't find either. I don't know whether it is
enabled or not. I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505 laptop.

Thanks for any help you might offer. Fidelco Foster

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Try turning off your microphone. (Seriously. If the voice recognition is
turned on, sounds/noises can be misinterpreted as commands.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"fidelco foster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fidelco foster fidelco foster is offline

Thank you. That is a new approach. I do not have a microphone. I may have
speech recognition (tied in to a microphone?) which someone mentioned but if
I do, I did not enable it. If it is enabled, I don't know how to disable it.

I know nothing about BIOS and hitting DEL while booting to bypass the
touchpad on the laptop. I can visualize smoke pouring out of the machine if I
tried that. Obviously, I am not tech savvy.
I thought it might have something to do with the speed of the cursor as I
type fast - cursor not being able to keep up?
Anyway, I very much appreciate eveyone attempting to help.
Fidelco Foster

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Turning off a microphone is less risky than messing with the BIOS.

Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

--

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

It may vary but try this: (My system is running Vista so this was copied
from a website I found)

Start-Control Panel-

Adjust the system volume -

In the Device volume area in the middle of the Volume tab, click on
Advanced. I know, I know, it looks like you are adjusting speaker volume,
but go ahead and do it.

If the microphone doesnt show up as one of the devices, select the menu
item Options-Properties and put a check in the Microphone box.

In the microphone sub-panel, put a check in the Mute box.

Cursor jumping! ABQlawyer New Users 6 June 9th 07 11:52 PM
cursor jumping down to the bottom.. Seattle Microsoft Word Help 1 March 5th 07 09:01 AM
Cursor jumping dreamer12 Microsoft Word Help 6 January 24th 06 10:56 PM
Jumping Cursor Whitney Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 05 04:28 AM
Jumping Cursor Frager New Users 2 December 13th 04 12:33 AM