Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gretchen Gretchen is offline

Default How do you write in poem form?

I am trying to copy my handwritten poems onto Word and it does not come out
looking like a poem. It looks more like a letter instead. Please help me.

Thank You
Very Much
Gretchen Garrow
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bernard W Joseph[_2_] Bernard W Joseph[_2_] is offline

Gretchen wrote:
I am trying to copy my handwritten poems onto Word and it does not come out
looking like a poem. It looks more like a letter instead. Please help me.

Thank You
Very Much
Gretchen Garrow

Would you like to see how mine come out? I just type them and space them
like a poem.

Bernard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Aalaan Aalaan is offline

Unlike the usual problem., when people unnecessarily use the ENTER key at
the end of each line, instead of letting Word do the wraparound, you DO need
the ENTER key after each (deliberate) line in poetry.

"Bernard W Joseph" k8lix.at.arrl.net wrote in message
. ..
Gretchen wrote:
I am trying to copy my handwritten poems onto Word and it does not come
out looking like a poem. It looks more like a letter instead. Please help
me.

Thank You Very Much
Gretchen Garrow

Would you like to see how mine come out? I just type them and space them
like a poem.

Bernard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman Iceman is offline

In this group Gretchen wrote in message

I am trying to copy my handwritten poems onto Word and it does not
come out looking like a poem. It looks more like a letter instead.
Please help me.

Always hit 'Enter' after each line, and, if you have indented lines,
unbreaking space (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) may be preferable to using the space
bar.

Also always work in Page Layout View.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Here's how I do it, assuming that each line of the poem is left-aligned
(that is, alternate lines are not indented):

1. Type the entire poem, pressing Shift+Enter (line break) at the end of
each line and Enter (paragraph break) at the end of each stanza.

2. Select the entire poem and apply some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph)
so that the stanzas are separated.

3. Drag the left indent marker on the ruler until the poem is visually
centered (do not use Center alignment); this is tricky if some of the lines
are very long, but make it so that the average line length looks centered.

I generally define a Poetry style to handle these properties, but if I'm
typing a lot of poems with lines of varying length, then I drag the indents
as needed for each poem.

"Gretchen" wrote in message
I am trying to copy my handwritten poems onto Word and it does not come

out
looking like a poem. It looks more like a letter instead. Please help me.

Thank You
Very Much
Gretchen Garrow

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do you write in poem form?

  1. Make sure that you have the correct page orientation. Poems are usually written in portrait orientation, so go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Orientation" to select "Portrait."
  2. Adjust the margins. Poems often have narrower margins than regular documents, so go to "Margins" and select "Narrow" or adjust them manually to your liking.
  3. Adjust the line spacing. Poems often have different line spacing than regular documents. Go to "Line Spacing" and select "Multiple" and then adjust the number to your liking. You may also want to adjust the spacing before and after each paragraph to create more white space on the page.
  4. Adjust the alignment. Poems are often centered or aligned to the left. To center your poem, select all the text and click on the "Center" button in the "Paragraph" section. To align your poem to the left, click on the "Left Align" button.
  5. Play around with the font and font size to find one that suits your poem.

Hi Gretchen! I'd be happy to help you format your poems in Word so that they look like poems rather than letters.

First, make sure that you have the correct page orientation. Poems are usually written in portrait orientation, so go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Orientation" to select "Portrait."

Next, adjust the margins. Poems often have narrower margins than regular documents, so go to "Margins" and select "Narrow" or adjust them manually to your liking.

Now, let's work on the line spacing. Poems often have different line spacing than regular documents. Go to "Line Spacing" and select "Multiple" and then adjust the number to your liking. You may also want to adjust the spacing before and after each paragraph to create more white space on the page.

Finally, let's work on the alignment. Poems are often centered or aligned to the left. To center your poem, select all the text and click on the "Center" button in the "Paragraph" section. To align your poem to the left, click on the "Left Align" button.

You may also want to play around with the font and font size to find one that suits your poem.

I hope this helps you format your poems in Word!
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do you write in poem form?

Hi Gretchen,

I'm happy to help you with formatting your poems in Microsoft Word! Here are some steps you can follow to make your poems look like poems:
  1. Change the page layout: Go to the Layout tab and click on Margins. Select Narrow or Moderate to create more white space on the page.
  2. Adjust the line spacing: Go to the Home tab and click on the arrow next to Line Spacing. Select 1.5 or 2.0 to create more space between each line.
  3. Use a different font: Choose a font that looks more like handwriting or calligraphy to give your poems a more artistic feel. Some good options include "Lucida Handwriting," "Segoe Script," or "Brush Script MT."
  4. Center your text: Highlight your poem and click on the "Center" button in the "Paragraph" section of the "Home" tab. This will make your poem look more visually appealing and centered on the page.
  5. Add line breaks: To create line breaks between each line of your poem, press "Shift + Enter" instead of just "Enter." This will create a new line without adding extra space between the lines.
  6. Use columns: If you want to create a more traditional-looking poem, you can use columns to create a narrower text block. Go to the "Layout" tab and click on "Columns." Select "Two" or "Three" columns to create a more visually interesting layout.

I hope these tips help you format your poems in Microsoft Word!