Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Defining numbering sequences within templates

There is no fool-proof way to do this, since Word doesn't really have a
default numbering scheme; what you get when pressing the numbering button is
the most recent format chosen (which is user-specific).

What you can do is intercept the numbering button to apply a built-in
numbered style, such as the List Number style, whose formatting you can
specify in the template. In its simplest form, you could use code such as
the following:

Sub FormatBulletDefault()
On Error GoTo errhandler
If Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style.NameLocal = _
ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleListNumber).NameLocal Then
Selection.Style = wdStyleNormal
Else
Selection.Style = wdStyleListNumber
End If

Exit Sub

errhandler:
Exit Sub
End Sub

If you need assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Note that the best approach is to teach users use styles properly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OzannesGsy" wrote in message
I am trying to alter the default numbering sequence used when a user
presses
the numbering button. We have managed to change this as a one off in the
document we are in but cannot get this saved in a template to be used by
other users, it always defaults back to the default numbering sequence.

What we are trying to achieve is for everybody across the organisation to
use the customised numbering sequence as their default.

Can you help? Do you know if this is possible?