Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
2e 2e is offline

Default What happened to my question

yesterday I posted a question about the document map in Word 2007 and I
subsequently received an email notification telling me someone has replied to
it. But when I click the link in the email it sends me to a blank web page
with a very long link in the URL field. So I tried to find my message
manually but it seems to have disappeared now. I am very new to the Word
discussion groups but very familiar with other discussion groups. Any ideas?
Wonder if the same thing will happen with this message. If I don't respond or
thank anyone for helping me it may be because I cannot.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Here is your original post and the response that was made to it:

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
As far as I know, there is no bug that prevents paragraphs from showing up
in the document map (rather, in some versions, too many paragraphs are
shown
because they are incorrectly assigned outline levels). Are you sure that
your headings have the correct outline levels specified? The easiest way
accomplish that is by using the built-in heading styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"2e" wrote in message
I'm in Windows XP using word 2007. I'm working with a big complicated
document and need to have effective navigation. The bookmarks system
would
be
fine but you can't keep it open all the time in its own pane. So I found
what
ought to be the ideal alternative in document map which you can keep open
all
the time alongside the document window.
I formatted the document with styled headings as explained in the help
etc.
and requested the map to show headings to level 1 and level 2.
It shows one or two headings but ignores most of them. I have just a
fraction of the headings that actually exist in the document showing up
in
the document map.
Could it be that the software doesn't like me trying to use both
bookmarks
and the document map? If I deleted all my bookmarks from these headings
first
might the document map work. Hate to do that in case it doesn't - then
I'd
have to re-do all those bookmarks.

Use a newsreader such as Outlook Express to access the Newsgroups

Connect to a newsgroup server using Outlook Express

Open Outlook Express and follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

2. In the Internet Account dialog box, click Add, and then click News.
The Internet Connection Wizard starts. Follow these steps in the wizard:

a. On the first screen, in the Display name box, type the name that other
users will see when you post a message to the newsgroup, and then click
Next.

b. On the second screen, type your full e-mail address in the E-mail
address box, and then click Next.

c. On the third screen, in the News (NNTP) Server box, type the name of
your news server. To subscribe to the newsgroups hosted on Microsoft's
servers, type msnews.microsoft.com. If you don't know the name of your news
server, contact your Internet provider.

d. If necessary, select the My news server requires me to log on check
box, and then click Next. If you don't know whether your server requires you
to log on, contact your Internet provider. The Microsoft server does not
require a user name and password.

e. On the last screen, click Finish.

3. Click Close, and then click Yes when asked if you want to download
newsgroups from the account you just created. The Newsgroup Subscriptions
dialog box appears.

4. Select the newsgroups you want to use, click Subscribe, and then click
OK.

Note Most of Microsoft newsgroups use this naming convention:
microsoft.public.application_name.specific_area. For example: you could
subscribe to microsoft.public.office.dataanalyzer, or
microsoft.public.excel.programming. However, that isn't always the case.
Don't be afraid to browse the list of groups in order to find something that
you think will be useful.

5 On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Read tab, and then clear
the Get 300 headers at a time check box.

6 Click the Maintenance tab, clear the Delete new messages n days after
being downloaded check box, and then click OK.

Step 5 allows you to download and read all the newsgroup's postings when you
first subscribe. Step 6 allows you to read older messages.

Subscribe or unsubscribe to newsgroups

After you establish a connection to your newsgroup server, you add
newsgroups to your list by subscribing. You can subscribe or unsubscribe to
newsgroups at any time. Typically, you use the group name as a guide when
subscribing. For example, a name such as
microsoft.public.office.developer.outlook.forms would be a good place to
start if you need help writing a custom form for Outlook.

To subscribe

1 Start Outlook Express.

2 In the folder pane, click the name of your news server. For example, if
you established a connection to Microsoft's server, click
msnews.microsoft.com.

3 In the main viewing pane, click Newsgroups.

4 In the Newsgroup Subscriptions dialog box, select a newsgroup from the
list, and then click Subscribe.
5 Repeat the previous step to subscribe to additional newsgroups, and
then click OK when you finish.
6 In the main viewing pane, double-click the name of the new newsgroup.
If you only want to receive new messages since the last time you visited,
select the New messages only check box, and then double-click the newsgroup
name.

Note When you subscribe to a newsgroup for the first time, you receive all
the messages whether or not you select the New messages only check box.

To unsubscribe

In the Outlook Express folder pane, right-click the newsgroup that you want
to stop using, and then click Unsubscribe on the shortcut menu.

Tips

To reduce the number of items in the list of available newsgroups, enter a
phrase in the Display newsgroups which contain box. For instance, you can
enter an application name such as "publisher" or the name of a discipline
such as "programming." The list changes automatically when you finish
typing.

Newsgroups in languages other than English are identified by their names;
for example, microsoft.public.fr.excel is a newsgroup for Microsoft Excel
users who speak French.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"2e" wrote in message
yesterday I posted a question about the document map in Word 2007 and I
subsequently received an email notification telling me someone has replied
it. But when I click the link in the email it sends me to a blank web page
with a very long link in the URL field. So I tried to find my message
manually but it seems to have disappeared now. I am very new to the Word
discussion groups but very familiar with other discussion groups. Any
ideas?
Wonder if the same thing will happen with this message. If I don't respond
or
thank anyone for helping me it may be because I cannot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mom mom is offline

"2e" wrote in message
yesterday I posted a question about the document map in Word 2007 and I
subsequently received an email notification telling me someone has replied
it. But when I click the link in the email it sends me to a blank web page
with a very long link in the URL field. So I tried to find my message
manually but it seems to have disappeared now. I am very new to the Word
discussion groups but very familiar with other discussion groups. Any
ideas?
Wonder if the same thing will happen with this message. If I don't respond
or
thank anyone for helping me it may be because I cannot.

The same thing happened to me! I've gone through 9 pages looking for my question about word not responding and my desk top icons disapearing!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you mean this question about Microsoft Word...
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...c-d495e43da325
that you posted to one of the Microsoft Access newsgroups?