Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
So confused So confused is offline

Default Issues with Excel tables linked to Word

I have a Word document that includes several linked Excel tables. Since
converting to Office 2007, when we open the Word document, it opens and
closes the Excel file in the background once for every table in the Word
document. I have tried changing the links to be manual update only but it
didn't fix the problem. Since there are several tables linked to the Excel
file, it takes up to 10 minutes to open the Word document. Does any one have
a solution for this? Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That is the issue discussed in the thread at
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-734...245533&start=0

I have an idea that if you start afresh with a new 2007 format document and
insert the links, the issue has been overcome.

At the time that it first appeared however the work around that I came up
with was to use VBA code to insert the data into a bookmarked range in the
document and write the source of the data (the address in the LINK field) to
a document variable with the name of the bookmark and then to break the link
to the source to overcome the timing issue when the document was opened.

Then if it was desired to updated the "linked" data in the document, a macro
was run that accessed the document variables to get the bookmark names and
the address of the original LINK fields that was stored in them and then
grabbed the data from the source in Excel and updated the information within
the bookmark.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.