Gavmacfan Gavmacfan is offline
Junior Member

Default Legacy Office 98 documents

Hello

My father has an old iMac with thousands of Word 98 documents created on Mac OS9. He wants to upgrade, but when the documents are opened in Mac OS X or my mums PC with Office 2010 the line spacing changes. So for example, everything moves down one line and the document needs to be adjusted.

What could be causing this? The documents are already set to A4 and he prints fine on A4 paper. My only solution thus far has been creating PDFs.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Gavin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That sort of thing happens with different printer drivers. I don't
suppose you can get the antique printer to work with the new computer?

--
Gavmacfan

Gavmacfan Gavmacfan is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. That's our problem. The printer is broke and needs replaced. Printer companies don't support Mac OS 9 anymore and his documents change layout in newer versions of Word. Office 98 isn't compatible with Mac OSX, but I wondered if Office 97 would work on Windows 7? Perhaps the similarly old software would keep the layout? The only alternative is to create PDFs for printing, but that's hardly ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post

wrote:
Hello

My father has an old iMac with thousands of Word 98 documents created on
Mac OS9. He wants to upgrade, but when the documents are opened in Mac
OS X or my mums PC with Office 2010 the line spacing changes. So for
example, everything moves down one line and the document needs to be
adjusted.

What could be causing this? *The documents are already set to A4 and he
prints fine on A4 paper. My only solution thus far has been creating
PDFs.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Gavin

--
Gavmacfan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Word2007 "Save As" dialog, the .doc format is listed as
compatible with Office 97 through 2003, so you should be just fine
opening your 97 .docs in Word2007 or Word2010. Slight format
differences, however, will still be due to the different printer
driver.

Tell me about it -- I had a Performa and a MacBook that could not be
upgraded from OS9 to OS X, and now I use Windows.

Lost the greatest app ever made -- Papyrus bibliography software --
because the developer said it would be an overwhelming job to adapt it
to OS X (and he was a Mac snob, unwilling to do a Windows version).