Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fireinv1304 Fireinv1304 is offline

Default Citation & Bibliography tab greyed out

When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation & Bibliography is insert citation, search libraries. Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Citation & Bibliography tab greyed out

It sounds like the citation style you need is missing from your Word 2007 installation. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:
  1. Check if the citation style is installed: Go to the References tab, click on the Style drop-down menu, and see if the style you need is listed. If it's not there, you'll need to install it.
  2. Install the missing citation style: You can download and install citation styles from the Microsoft Office website. Go to the References tab, click on the Style drop-down menu, and select "More Styles". This will open the "Style" dialog box. Click on the "Get More Styles" link at the bottom of the dialog box, and you'll be taken to the Microsoft Office website where you can browse and download citation styles. Once you've downloaded the style you need, double-click on the file to install it.
  3. Check for updates: Make sure your Word 2007 installation is up to date. Go to the Microsoft Office website and download any available updates for Word 2007.
  4. Repair your Office installation: If none of the above steps work, you may need to repair your Office installation. Go to the Control Panel, select "Programs and Features", find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs, right-click on it, and select "Change". This will open the Office Setup wizard. Select "Repair" and follow the prompts to repair your Office installation.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with the missing citation style.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Griff67 Griff67 is offline

Sorry, happy fingers on the Post button...

Was a solution ever found for this? I have the same problem and go figure I
left my Office DVD at home when I came to school so I can't even reinstall
quickly.

"Fireinv1304" wrote:

When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation & Bibliography is insert citation, search libraries. Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you need to have added at least one Source to your document in
order for all the other stuff to become available? So Insert a
Citation and see if that doesn't fix it.

"Fireinv1304" wrote:
When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation & Bibliography is insert citation, search libraries. *Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. *Any help would be
appreciated. *Thanks-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Griff67 Griff67 is offline

No luck. If I try to insert a citation, the only option I am given is to
'Search Libraries.' At school and work I the Citation button works all
documents including blank documents. I'm thinking something was missed
during install like the bibliography XLS sheets. I'm going to look at the
directories on my work PC and see if the structure is different.

"Fireinv1304" wrote:
When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation & Bibliography is insert citation, search libraries. Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sven Sven is offline

Got the same problem here, can't find any help on it...
Running latest versions of Office Pro 2007 and XP Pro.

If there was afix for this i would like to know.
Cheers

"Fireinv1304" wrote:

When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation & Bibliography is insert citation, search libraries. Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

"Fireinv1304" wrote:
When looking at the reference tab Word 2007, the only option I have under
Citation&Bibliographyis insertcitation, search libraries. *Everything
else is greyed out and the style says missing in the box. *Any help would be
appreciated. *Thanks-- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

This is caused by an installation error. Try uninstalling and
reinstalling Office 2007.

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Pegues Daniel Pegues is offline

The reason the options are grayed out is because you are trying to use an
Office Word 2007 feature on a .doc file. .doc is an old Office Word format,
specifically 2003 and later. First save your document to the new Office Word
2007 format, .docx , then close Office Word 2007, reopen your document, and
then you will see the options are available.

This is the same case for most if not all new features in all parts of
Office 2007, not just Word 2007.

Hope this helps.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Ben is offline

Unfortunately your explanationis false. This is a problem being reported all
over the internet for what might be limited to Vista x64. I hope someone
posts a solution eventually.
Thanks,

Ben

"Daniel Pegues" wrote:

The reason the options are grayed out is because you are trying to use an
Office Word 2007 feature on a .doc file. .doc is an old Office Word format,
specifically 2003 and later. First save your document to the new Office Word
2007 format, .docx , then close Office Word 2007, reopen your document, and
then you will see the options are available.

This is the same case for most if not all new features in all parts of
Office 2007, not just Word 2007.

Hope this helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tracy Tracy is offline

I used this option not 2 months ago...why is it now it is not working???
I hope someone gets an answer to this...could it have been an update that
made something go wrong???
Tracy

"Daniel Pegues" wrote:

The reason the options are grayed out is because you are trying to use an
Office Word 2007 feature on a .doc file. .doc is an old Office Word format,
specifically 2003 and later. First save your document to the new Office Word
2007 format, .docx , then close Office Word 2007, reopen your document, and
then you will see the options are available.

This is the same case for most if not all new features in all parts of
Office 2007, not just Word 2007.

Hope this helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ktegels_devevlopmentor ktegels_devevlopmentor is offline

This is caused by an installation error. Try uninstalling and
reinstalling Office 2007.

I hate to be so blunt about it, but that's a horrible answer. Yes, I know it
works. However, I just did a fresh custom install and I don't have a bib
directory.

What I really need to know is what *precisely* must be installed to get this
feature working.

Does anybody know? Or this one of the "oh, we just baked it into the
installer and you can't really do anything else" things?

Grrr.
Kent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Word 2007. (I know not really a helpfull answer)

As far as I can tell (I never had the problem myself so I only have
second-hand info), the problem is caused by an installation error. Hence, it
probably has nothing to do with what features you select or not select for
your custom install. If you can find an install log
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...cc511506.aspx), you might want
to check it out for any silent errors you got.

Whatever the issue exactly is, copying the files from the installation disc
to the correct directory will most likely not solve it.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com

"ktegels_devevlopmentor" m
wrote in message ...
This is caused by an installation error. Try uninstalling and
reinstalling Office 2007.

I hate to be so blunt about it, but that's a horrible answer. Yes, I know
it
works. However, I just did a fresh custom install and I don't have a bib
directory.

What I really need to know is what *precisely* must be installed to get
this
feature working.

Does anybody know? Or this one of the "oh, we just baked it into the
installer and you can't really do anything else" things?

Grrr.
Kent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamin Kirchner Benjamin Kirchner is offline

I just had this same problem. Greyed out, style: missing, exactly the
same. I uninstalled then installed again. When I reinstalled, I
changed the directory back to the default - the first time I had it in
just c:\office. When I installed again, i changed it to c:\program
files(x86)\microsoft office\

Now, the insert citation works fine, all the styles are there and all
options are open.

I hope this helps! That was frustrating. Of course, now I'll just have
to discover what features I disabled when reinstalling... !

Good luck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] saramahdi92@gmail.com is offline

This fixed the issue for me. Thanks!